water heater in crawl space? possible?

Old 10-22-01, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am wanting to move my water heater and was thinking of the crawl space. I was thinking I could form up a small concrete pad and put a short water heater in.........would there be any problems with this? Has anyone seen this done? I live in Illinois so we do have cold winters but my furnace is already down there so it is always warm.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to run 2 water heaters that Y into the same service line. Basically thinking that since I probably cant get a very big water heater that would fit down there that maybe I could just run 2.......they would have to be either electronic ignition or electric I assume.

Thanks
Ed.

Old 10-22-01, 04:57 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
Gas or electric? what kind of space do u have?

Old 10-22-01, 05:43 PM
If you live in an area that has plumbing codes, there are access limits that must be followed. You would need to ask a local plumbing/building inspector about what codes you have (UPC, IPC) then look up the specific code for water heater installions. Gas water heater has all kinds of problems with this set up, I'd look at an electric water heater.

Probably not the answer you was looking for, but it's an answer...

Old 10-23-01, 12:14 AM
I can do either gas or electric. When you ask about space, I assume you mean height........I have about 3 1/2 to 4 ft. Not trying to second guess you but for my own future knowledge, what kinds of problems would that cause with gas? I figured electronic ignition would cure the pilot light problem, or would that be a problem too?

Thanks
Ed.

Old 10-23-01, 11:56 AM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
electric would be alot easier, you would not have to worry about a gas line or the vent. Find you a couple of lo boy 40
gallon heaters and tie them together in parallell,this should give you about 52 gallons of hot water per hour. also if u can,run a gravity return line for high performance hot water.

Old 10-24-01, 01:12 PM
gravity return line??? what is that?

Ed.

Old 10-24-01, 01:24 PM
I'm not plumbguy but a gravity return line is a line the ties in near the final branch line from the water heater (usually 1/2 for residential / light commercial), and returns back to the cold water inlet side of the water heater. It provides recirculation for the hot water. This will provide hot water at fixtures in a very short time as opposed to waiting for hot water to arrive from the water heater.
When you have a gravity return line, you need to have a slope to the water heaters and a very minimal number of elbows. If the water heater was in the attic, you can accomplish the very same thing using a small pump to pull water from the end and place it into the water heater inlet (but then it wouldn't be gravity but pressure recirc).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: