Moen diverter got the best of me

Old 11-05-01, 07:00 PM
Visiting Guest
The sprayer on my Moen single handle kitchen faucet only cut off about half of the flow to the faucet so I replaced the diverter. The new one works slightly better but chatters at all but low and high preasure.

I thought there might be a calcium buildup in the sprayer head so I soaked it (valve handle secured open with a rubber band) in vinegar. No improvement other than a little better spray pattern.

I noticed that the new diverter was a somewhat snug fit over the valve housing. It slides but not what you would call freely. Even thought there was very little fouling I wire brushed the contact surface and even tried some silicone grease to no avail.

Any ideas?

Old 11-06-01, 01:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Until Plumber2000 checks in, who knows all about Moen faucets, you can go to http://www.moen.com for illustrated how-to install info.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-06-01, 04:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks but I tried that first. They really don't say too much other than how to install new stuff.

Old 11-07-01, 04:04 AM
Did the new diverter cut all flow to the faucet when turn the sprayer on?

Could be a defect in the diverter, take it back and replace it with a new one, if same results, and this clatter really bugs you, replace the entire faucet.

Old 11-20-01, 05:05 PM
Visiting Guest
The sink sprayer in my Moen kitchen faucet was leaking recently. I hardly ever used it, so I removed it and plugged the hole in the bottom of the faucet with a brass plug. As I recall, when I did use it the water flow was also split about 50/50 between the faucet and the sprayer.

I had the faucet completely disassembled and off of the sink, and I don't remember seeing any separate "diverter". I removed the cap, handle, retaining nut, spout and cartridge. This left me with just the core of the faucet, I thought. Was there a "diverter" that I should have removed since I'm no longer using the sprayer? What does it look like, and how would I remove it?

Old 11-20-01, 05:11 PM
[SIZE=3]The diverter is under the spout, you have to remove the spout to see the diverter should be plastic that slips over the body under the spout where the cartiage goes in at[/SIZE]

Old 11-21-01, 02:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks,

Will the faucet work better if I remove the diverter? Or should I just leave it? Remember, I've plugged the hole where the sprayer connects to.

Old 11-21-01, 03:58 AM
[SIZE=3]Just leave it there, it won't hurt anything.[/SIZE]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: