seware smell

Old 11-11-01, 06:30 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry

a contractor added a new bathroom to our home and we have had seware smeel every since the vent pipe coming out of the roof is 3" pipe but in the crawlspace it is 1.5" pipeall plumbining was drywalled in and is not viewwable if you go up on roof and look down the vent you can see the smaller pipe down inside the largerone and the small pipe stops approx 1ft from the opening of the larger pipei think the large pipe just sits insine the wall and the smaller pipe just runs trhough it , i think this because in the winter when its cold steam from vent freezes inside large pipe at openeng and when it warms up water seeps through wall and floor in the approxiamte position of the pipe where it is in the wall!!!!!!!!!!!! my othe problem is everything will work well for a while and then the water will always be gone from the toilet and i am assuming that all the other traps are syphomed dry also thus causing the smell. what should i do. do i actually need this vent since it goes into the same mainline that the othe plumbing from the rest of the house drains to which is properly vented????????????

Old 11-11-01, 07:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I don't exactly understand what you're describing, but did you or your contractor not get a permit and inspection on the contractor's work by your Building Inspection Department?
You obviously have a venting problem that needs to be corrected.
What does the contractor say?

Old 11-11-01, 08:30 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
he did have a permit but the one inspecter actually got fired over this job (never really inspected anything) the main inspecter wanted it tore down (bath utilitie room and garage) for structual problems starting at the foundation and right on up !!!!!!!! we sued the contracter and during the wait for court hearings he liquified all assets and left the state we had anoyher contracter lined up to tear down and rebuiled.. the original contracter did come back to indiana for the mandantory trying to settle before court and he agreed to pay the 25000 to redue the job then the next week claimed that he hasd no money and showed up with 10000 in 100 dollar bills threw it on my lawyers desk and ran out the door never to be seen again!!!!!! we used the 10000 to shore up the structual problems. i think i am going to try to unhook the vent entirely from the additional bath and see if the other vent in the old part of the house will handle it all

Old 11-11-01, 11:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I don't know if that will solve your problem.
If I were you, I wouldn't do anything without prior approval of a competent Building Inspector or licensed contractor.
You may be pouring good money after bad, if you don't re-do it right.
Sorry to hear about your problems.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: