some advice: which toilet paper is best to avoid clogs

Old 11-11-01, 09:27 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We recently had to clean out our old cast iron sewer pipes (no root problem, as seen by the sewer cam; just rough lining of the pipes and stuff getting stuck; he cut them smoother). Our plumber told us that one of the culprits of clogs is toilet paper. He suggested we use Scott tissue, which he said breaks up the most easily.

I can understand why Scott tissue would earn the plumber's seal of approval. It is a one-ply tissue (they don't sell a two-ply; I wonder why?). Unfortunately, my wife just hates the thin tissues, and doesn't want to be bothered with doubling up even more than she's doing now.

I searched Consumer Reports website-- they must compare toilet tissues, right? Nope. So I decided to do my own test.

I placed one toilet tissue in a quart container, a little over half-filled, let it sit for 30 seconds, and then stirred gently with my fingers. For comparison, the single-ply Scott tissue almost immediately started to break up into shreds.

Charmin Ultra 2-ply (Procter and Gamble) was the worst (although my wife said it felt the softest). It stayed together in one clump, after 30 seconds of stirring.

Our store brand 2-ply (Stop&Shop; of course they don't make it, but I can't find the manufacturer on the label) did second best, tearing into larger pieces after about 15 seconds of stirring. It was semi-soft.

Closest to Scott (though not tearing into as many small shreds) was Angel Soft 2-ply (Georgia Pacific). It starting breaking into smaller pieces after about 15 seconds of stirring. It's not as soft as Charmin, but softer than the store brand.

Now, does this means that it breaks apart as we go to use it? Hopefully not. If it works out, it will be our compromise solution to smoother flowing drains.

Old 11-11-01, 11:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

The answer to your question is most probably.
Millions of people have used cast iron drains for years.
True, all non-glued sectional drainlines can get roots, and the connections can create minor snags, but they should flow fairly freely with normal use.
The experiments were interesting, but I would not alter my lifestyle over the difference. Just remember that NOTHING extra ever goes into a toilet EXCEPT toilet tissue.
No reason to complicate things.
Let your wife make the choice.
(Just my opinion. I could be wrong. LOL)
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: