ground level vs roof level cleanout?

Old 12-02-01, 03:07 PM
Visiting Guest
ground level vs roof level cleanout?

I bought my first house, I wish to purchase a home warranty that covers plumbing stoppage. Problem is, the company I have my current warranty with indicates they will only cover it if I have ground level cleanout access. I have no clue. I found some covered pipe openings outside about 3-4 inches wide out front hidden in the hedges near the waterhose faucet. I am guessing that is the ground level cleanout but am curious, how do I eliminate the possibility that I have roof access before I sign on with the warranty folks.

Old 12-02-01, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Unless your plumbing is really weird, all of your main drain pipe cleanouts will be at or near ground level.
The open vent pipe(s) sticking out of the roof of your home (the upper part of the same drain/waste/vent system) give you cleanout access from up there.
Maybe this schematic will help you understand the d/w/v system:

Get your warranty (you have ground level cleanouts, and everybody has open vent pipes on their roof).
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-02-01, 10:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you, that clears it up for me (thanks for the image, I printed it to study it further). My motivation for getting the warranty is a master bedroom's bath that drains so slowly it almost seems as if it isn't draining at all but it is, just exceedingly slowly. I tried some liquid drain cleaners (a couple of the big name brands actually) to no avail. I was going to try snaking it myself but when I removed the drain stopper there was this funky bar across the opening that halves the size of the opening so the big end of the snake is unable to get past it (dunno who had the bright idea to put that in kind in there but it foils any attempt I dare make that doesn't involve cutting that off but that would ruin the thing that holds the stopper in place. I hope they will handle this since it happened before, obviously, I get the warranty. I don't know how to get it out myself and don't want to magnify the problem by attempting some lame brained technique out of desperation.

Old 12-02-01, 11:26 PM
[SIZE=3]Most plumbing company won't garantee cleaning of a mainline through a vent, I don't and won't clean a mainline through the roof vent, Too dangerous.[/SIZE]

Old 12-03-01, 05:44 AM
Cool

Yep.
The only thing that you can snake through the open top of a vent pipe is the usually straight vertical d/w/v stack itself, if it becomes clogged with leaves, debris, etc. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.
As far as your master bath sink, get some enzyme-based DrainCare, and follow the directions on the jug, and then flush it down with hot water.
DrainCare will eat hair, soap scum and other gunk out of sluggish drains.
Many other drain cleaners (Drano, etc.) are made for completely clogged lines only, and will just drain past a partial clog and therefore will be totally ineffective.
You should be able to easily loosen the slip nuts counterclockwise, and remove the trap to clean it out if necessary (put a pan or bucket under it to catch the water in the trap).
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-03-01, 10:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Under my tub? It (the tub) goes all the way down to the floor (part of the reason I couldn't clean it out myself, I think this would be a little simpler if the tub stood on legs above the floor). Did I miss something? Is there something I can unscrew and get under there somehow? Short of taking the entire tub out anyways? My apologies for sounding desperate. I will try to find an enzyme based draincare and see if that can clear it out for me (yeah, I tried the Drano/Liquid Plumr route, dint know enzymed based was an option).

Old 12-03-01, 11:36 AM
Cool

No, not under a tub. I meant under a sink.
DrainCare is a brand name. Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc. sell it.
To clear hair, soap scum, etc. out of a tub drain, get a regular length of flexible steel cable, bend the strands into individual little hooks, and twist it into the drain and pull out hair, etc.
Or get some DrainCare. I swear, it will eat it out overnight, if you sock it to it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: