Lazy Flush Toilet

Old 12-15-01, 09:00 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lazy Flush Toilet

My toilet has a "lazy flush" problem. When flushing, the water will swirl, rise up, then slowly go down the drain. Sometimes it's so slow that there'll be no siphoning action. It works on that "fine edge". When I pour a bucket of water into the toilet, it'll drain quickly and give a good siphoning action, so I know there's no obstruction in the drain. The small holes under the rim are clear of lime, and pass water freely. The flapper valve stays open and does not close early during the flush.

The problem is the small hole opposite the drain doesn't seem to flow and power the flushant down the drain like my other toilet does. I've run a wire deep into the hole and can't detect any real obstruction. There was some lime around the hole. Since then I've soaked the bowl for 24 hrs with as much muriatic acid as can fit in the bowl. It cleaned the lime, but I still have a lazy flush. This problem may have been present probably since I bought the house in 1991; I've only been aware of this condition in the past few years. The toilet is a 1987 Briggs with a 5-gal flush. What do I do now?

Old 12-15-01, 09:12 AM
[SIZE=3]Clean out the holes under the rim of the toilet.[/SIZE]

Old 12-15-01, 04:12 PM
K
Like I said, the small holes under the rim are clear of lime, and pass water freely.

Old 12-15-01, 04:59 PM
[SIZE=3]When a toilet flushes, it's the water that passes from the tank to the bowl area that gives it that flushing action, if the water takes it time to pass then there could be an object stuck in the passage way, once I found one of those blue cake drop-ins that you put in the tank, stuck in this passageway, the only way I was able to remove this was to pull the tank, this could also be from a clorine tablet, do you use these in the tank?[/SIZE]

Old 12-16-01, 04:58 AM
K
No, I don't use any tablets in the tank. If there ever were tablets used in the tank, you'd think it would have dissolved over the past few years.

I took a mirror and inspected the holes under the rim. There's no evidence of lime. And during flushing, there seems to be good flow through each of these holes.

It seems that something is truly blocking the water passage to the hole opposite the drain. I even took compressed air (I have an air compressor in the house) and reverse-flushed air through that hole....still no change. It looks like I'll have to take the whole toilet apart. But even apart, I don't see how I'd be able to get at that passage.

One thought I have, is to block the drain with a water balloon and fill the bowl with muriatic acid to a higher level, perhaps soaking the passages under the rim. Maybe this will dissolve whatever is blocking the passage.

Old 12-16-01, 05:08 AM
[SIZE=3]It's worth a try, the bucket of water proofs it not in the trapway or the mainline, so it's got to be between the tank and bowl.[/SIZE]

Old 12-16-01, 09:22 AM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello, Pour the acid down the overflow pipe in the tank. That way you get the acid to the inside of the toilet bowl. Also make sure the hose from the fill valve goes into the overflow pipe and the tank and bowl fill to the correct amount. You need the correct amount to make it flush right. another way I check a toilet is to watch the flapper when you flush, it should snap shut, not float shut. The water going into the bowl causes a suction and pulls the flapper down if the water leaves the tank slowly it won't create a suction. I've always found simple things the hardest to fix. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 12-16-01, 10:14 AM
K
Thanks Woodbutcher, when I poured acid into the bowl, I used a long funnel so I could pour it into the flapper valve hole. I wanted to make sure I got any lime that was in the upper passageways and behind any blockage - not just the bowl.

I double checked...the fill valve does go into the overflow pipe, the flapper valve stays open until the water level comes down to the flapper, then it snaps shut. The water level in the upper tank has been tweaked to 1-1/2" below the overflow pipe for economy.

Since my last post, I took the garden hose into the house, and with the nozzle, I powered water into the small hole opposite the drain hole in hopes of getting some back-flushing action. I got water to come out of the rim holes, but I still have no jetting action - or any significant flow - from that small hole on the bottom during flush. At this point I'm thinking I have something hard lodged in the lower water passage between the rim holes and jet hole restricting water flow.

Old 12-18-01, 03:48 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello, A couple of more ideas. Flush the toilet and put your hand in the water by the hole in the bowl. Can you feel water comming out the hole? If yes then maybe that's not your problem. Gently pour water into the bowl to try to raise the level in the bowl, if it comes up try to flush it, then if it flushes better either raise the level in the tank or replace the ballcock. I've seen a fluidmaster fail by not putting enough water in the overflow and the toilet flush would fail about every third time. And last but not least run a bowl auger in the toilet. What have you got to lose?
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: