My toilet only flushes 20% of the time.

Old 12-20-01, 02:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy My toilet only flushes 20% of the time.

My downstairs toilet only flushes 20% of the time. The tank empties, but the water in the bowl simply swirls around (but does not overflow). I thought it was a clog, but every now and then, it flushes completely. If the wax seal was broken in any way, would this affect the water flow?

Old 12-20-01, 04:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
[SIZE=3]Sounds like the fill valve needs replacing, see, the toilet bowl has a operating level, this level need to be established after each and everytime you flush the toilet, if this does not happen, the toilet will have a sluggish flush to no flush at all.

Lift the tank lid, look for the small tube the runs from the fill valve to to overfill tube in the middle of the tank, flush the toilet and watch the small tube, is there good water flow or little to none?

The reason this is needed for the operations of the toilet is, this water flow is what brings the operational level in the bowl to it's proper height.

To establish where the operating level of the bowl is supposed to be at, push on the flush handle just slightly, and let the water exit the tank without really flushing the toilet. watch the bowl level, see where it fills to and stays at that constant height, this is the operating level, and is where is should reach after each and every flush.

Now that you know where the bowl level should be at after every flush, flush the toilet a few times, let the toilet fill and stop, does the bowl reach that level after each flush? If not install a new fillvalve.

Have A Merry Christmas

[/SIZE]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: