Plumbing

Old 12-24-01, 11:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Plumbing

How do I install a new pressure release valve on my water tank,that holds water from the well?
My main cut off looks like it's close to the valve I must replace,
am I right to think cutting it off will allow me to replace the valve with little problem?
Thanks,
Darkwing

Old 12-24-01, 01:44 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The Pressure Release Valve can go anyplace on a pipe that connects your pump to the tank.

You should have a lot of room to choose a location.

It also would be a good idea if your valve trips to have the downspout pointed toward a least damage should water expel.

A piece of PVC pointed toward the floor of your garage is quite safe.

Old 12-24-01, 01:49 PM
H
Another thought:

Depending on your tank configuration and how much room you have at the fitting on the tank itself from the pump, you may replace the elbow fitting going into the tank with a T connection, and place the Pressure Relief Valve at the other end of the T.

Good Luck!

Old 12-24-01, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You're not talking about your water heater tank are you?
If it is not, please describe this water tank and how it is connected to the pump.
You should have an air pressure tank (bladder type or one with an air volume control on it) that controls the pump pressure switch.
Please give more info, and we'll be glad to help you.
Mike

Old 12-24-01, 06:20 PM
H
The pressure release valve is used to stop overpressure from:

1) cutoff failure of the well pump (primary danger) If the pump doesn't cutoff because of malfunction of the contactor: due to bad contacts, sensing spring improperly set during adjustment, or overcharging of tank.

2) back pressure from house (unlikely)

The general scheme of things are:

( If artesian well, additional valve before pump)

(older tanks and pumps have additional pressure gauge to tank, through pump to pressure switch)

1) Well Pump equipped with Pressure Switch (Contactor with sensor line to pump housing) to

2) pressure gauge to

3) pressure release valve to

4) tank to

5)valve to

6) home water pipes

2) - 5) can be pretty much intermixed since the pressure from the well pump to the tank is where the pressure is evident.

Old 12-24-01, 07:10 PM
H
While filling my wife's Christmas stocking I thought it might be useful to add a few things since you mentioned it was a new well.

Take your water to a testing lab. Peace of mind. Shouldn't cost more than about $70 and testing labs should have a "standard well test". More critical if you live near a gas station, golf course, farm, park, or body of water (2 miles). If there is a high concentration of something, they can tell you what kind of filtering device you might want. Especially important if you have children.

There's probably a 98% chance you have hard water. If you don't have a water softener, it would be very wise to add one.
You'll save money on replacing water heaters in the long run. Hard water causes calcium and other mineral deposits.

If you get a sulphur smell from your water and want it gone, put in an aereator (another pump and large water resevoir) which is fed from your main pump (additional pump from aereator to home supply). The aereator feeds water to the top of a tank and sprays/drips water to the resevoir below which releases the sulphur gas. The water will taste and smell pure.

The pump should go on and off quite unnoticably. If you hear a loud "thunk" when the pump goes off, it means your tank pressure is too high or your pressure switch is adjusted too low.
Depending on the pre-pressurized amount recommended by the tank manufacturer (typically 30 or 40lbs depending on size), the tank should be charged approx. 2lbs less than the pressure switch cut-on. i.e., 38 lbs tank, pressure switch cut-on at 40lbs.

Once setup properly, you'll have years of maintenance free happiness from a well.

Recently bought a farm and going to build a new house. Have the choice of county water or a well. To me, there's no choice, I'd take a well every time.

Old 12-24-01, 07:18 PM
H
Many apologies.

If I could think of everything just once!!!!!

Hope I'm not imposing on this board but had to add one more thing.

Should you ever need to drain your water system, it would helpful to add a hose bib somewhere from the pump to the tank along with the pressure release valve, pressure gauge so you can connect a garden hose to drain the tank preferably at the lowest point you can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: