Water level in toilet bowl

Old 12-24-01, 02:22 PM
Roger Allgood
Visiting Guest
Water level in toilet bowl

New house 5 years old. No previous plumbing problems. Now the water level in first floor toilet bowl a short while after a flush will go down to almost nothing. No other leaks or problems. Flush is normal. None of the other toilets (2) have this problem. What do I need to do or check next? Thanks. Roger Allgood.

Old 12-24-01, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
[SIZE=3]The fillvalve in the tank allows the bowl to reach operating level after each flush, this is probably where the problem is at, replace this and see if thats solves the problem. It could also be the mainline is on the verge of a plug up.[/SIZE]

Last edited by Plumber2000; 12-24-01 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-25-01, 12:45 AM
Roger Allgood
Visiting Guest
Thanks 2000, but that's not it. Fill valve is OK. Flush is OK, tank and bowl both fill to normal level. No leaks at fill valve or flapper. Two other toilets in house work fine. Checked line to septic tank and it is clear. It is a short time after the flush that water leaves bowl, 10 to 20 minutes. You can then refill bowl to normal level with bucket and it goes down again. What should I try next? Thanks again for the help, of several posting on the net, you are the ONLY answer!!! Thanks. Roger

Old 12-25-01, 01:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Roger,
I assume that you have checked under the floor under that bathroom (basement or crawlspace) to make sure that the toilet wax seal isn't leaking.
(And the toilet is securely bolted to the floor and not rocking.)
Is that bathroom on its own drain/waste/vent stack away from other baths?
Mike

Old 12-25-01, 02:34 AM
Roger Allgood
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Checked in basement, no leaks, toilet stable and not rocking. This toilet is on same vent stack with one other toilet upstairs and washer. They both work fine, and drain ok. Water level in that toilet is normal and does not leave bowl. Thanks for help. Could vent be clogged causing the system to suck water out of bowl to get air to drain? If so, could I just run auger tape down vent? Must leave now for family dinner, will check back this afternoon. Thanks again. Merry Christmas!!!

Roger

Old 12-25-01, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Roger,
It's a process of elimination.
If this toilet is not leaking, then I am going to assume that it is the lowest trap in its d/w/v system (half-bath?), and that its bowl trap is being drained when other water is flowing through the system.
This would mean a partial clog in its vent stack causing its bowl water to be siphoned out, as you surmised.
Clean out any leaves or debris that you can reach, and flush the vent pipe with a water hose sprayer. You may be able to clear it like that, without snaking it from top to bottom with a plumber's snake.
An auger will be way too short to do much good, usually.
Try flushing its vent pipe to see if that doesn't correct the problem.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-25-01, 01:25 PM
Roger Allgood
Visiting Guest
Mike,
I think you are right. It is the lowest trap in that vent stack. I will try the hose trick, and post back the results. Thanks to you and have a Happy New Year!!!!! Roger

Old 12-28-01, 06:59 AM
Roger Allgood
Visiting Guest
Still no luck. Ran water down both vent stacks today. No obstructions found, water went right down. Do not know what to check next. Water still leaves bowl some 10 to 20 minutes after flush. Could it be some kind of problem in the septic tank? I'm just guessing now. Please post if you have any ideas. Thanks for all the help so far. Roger

Old 12-28-01, 08:33 AM
[SIZE=3]Time to pull the toilet and take it outside, set it up on blocks and see if you can get this to repeat the problem, if it does it then, get a new toilet.[/SIZE]

Old 01-01-02, 01:32 PM
Roger Allgood
Visiting Guest
I know this is crazy, but the problem fixed it's self. It must have been a vent problem. So when I put the water down it, the blockage must have started to move, and know it is O.K. Everything is back to normal. Water does not leave bowl any more. Thanks to all who posted helpfull hints. You guys are the best. Happy New Year. Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: