Pump hums but does not come on

Old 12-30-01, 05:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a sprinkler pump that hums but does not come on. It's about 6 years old. Is there any easy fix or do I have to buy a new one.

Sometimes it works (comes on) and sometimes it doesn't.

Old 12-30-01, 05:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

It may just be the pressure switch (the little box on the pump with the electrical wire going into it), that turns the pump on and off, hanging up and causing the problem.
The next time that the pump hangs up, tap on the box with a screwdriver handle to see if it makes the pump come on.
If it does, unplug the pump or turn off the power to it, remove the pressure switch cover, and inspect it for loose wires or burnt or corroded contacts.
Replace it, if necessary.
If it isn't the pressure switch, it may be the pump motor.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-30-01, 02:34 PM
J

Thanks Mike!

I gave it a try. Most of the connections are pretty rusted. I tried cleaning them but nothing happened. I guess I need to get a new pump

Old 12-30-01, 02:38 PM
Cool

Not necessarily.
Just get a new pressure switch first, and try that.
That may solve the problem.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 12-30-01, 02:38 PM
I
Does the motor have a running capacitor? It would be mounted in a little blister type housing, about 1.5 by 4 inches, on the top or side of the motor. It would be worth it to see if the capacitor is bad, if you have one. A bad one causes the symptoms you described.

Old 12-30-01, 02:44 PM
Cool

Yep.
jmartin104, you need to have an electrician check out the pump and pressure switch before you buy a new pump.
It could be something far less costly.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 12-31-01, 01:09 AM
J
It does have a capacitor on top and its quite rusted. Where can I get another and how can I test this one?

Old 12-31-01, 05:37 AM
J
My capicitor was bad and I got it replaced. The pump did not initially come on however. After a few tries it did. If it stops again, I'll let you know.

Thanks all!

Old 12-31-01, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
I had a similar problem with my house pump last year (we're on well & septic). Turned out it was a capacitor problem, but not the capacitor itself. My problem was with the centrifugal switch mechanism that controls when the capacitor discharges to start the pump. I took it apart and cleaned up the contacts and it's worked 4.0 ever since.

Old 12-31-01, 09:48 AM
J
How can I tell what that is? I have an access panel in the back and there are several wires. Is it in that area?

Old 12-31-01, 11:53 AM
I
Yes, the centrifugal switch is at the back end of the motor, opposite the shaft. I've had that problem on my pool pump. Just clean it up, and even a dab of WD40 helps. The switch contacts are closed when the motor is not running, so the start capacitor is in the circuit. As soon as the motor spins up the contacts open taking the capacitor out of the circuit.

Old 01-01-02, 03:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Right, Ich. My pool pump is nearly identicle design to my house pump. Once I took off the end cover the cut-out mechansim was under another small plastic plate as I remember. Just had to disconnect the wires and remove a couple of small screws and whole assembly came out for easy cleaning. Saved having to replace the pump which is where I thought I was headed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: