mysterious water appears after using washer

Old 01-01-02, 01:04 PM
Visiting Guest
mysterious water appears after using washer

On an occasional freezing day in Virginia, and after doing a load of laundry, gallons of water appear in our basement soaking our carpet.

The washer is on a septic system (pumped and okay), no water near the washer, carpet and washer on the same house level, only leaks once or twice a year, and the water has no bad odor.

Help! Thanks for your time!

Old 01-01-02, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Dan,
You need to post your ? in the Appliance-Electric forum, and let jeff1, the moderator, answer it. He is THE expert on this kind of thing.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-02-02, 07:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Okay. Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's not the appliance, but something to do with the drainage, piping, etc...but will give Jeff a try!

Old 01-02-02, 07:47 AM
Cool

Dan,
I just re-read your post.
This problem only happens on "an occasional freezing day"?
Washing machine drain hoses are usually hooked into a standpipe with a trap at the bottom (under the house).
If the water in the trap is freezing, then there is your problem.
You need to insulate that trap, and insure that freezing temps cannot get to it.
If your washer pump is pumping up to another drain line, then a trap or that line is freezing, causing the backflow.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-02-02, 10:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Mike:
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate your input on this mysterious problem. Ready for more? Though your answer seems the most logical I've seen, here's some more info in response...

The washer has an ejector system hooked up to a utility sink, where it pumps the wastewater up about 8 feet to a larger pipe that leads outside. This larger pipe (about 5" diameter) has other feeder pipes from the floors above.

Not knowing home piping all that well, is there a possibility that there is one piping system that leads to some holding tank that handles some outflow (sinks, washing machine), while a second independent system handles the sewage from toilets? And could something in it freeze or clog while not affecting the other?

From what I can see, it looks as though there is only the one large pipe going outside...but that assumes there is nothing behind the walls handling other wastewater.

Still puzzled! What would freeze and why would it send water under the house? Oh well...I appreciate your efforts. I've called the county, but they don't have much in the way of plans showing traps and such.

Thanks!
Dan

Old 01-02-02, 11:24 AM
Cool

Dan,
Here is a basic drain/waste/vent system.

Your washer discharge hookup sounds normal for a basement. It appears to be connected to the main drain pipe to the septic system, and not into some separate "gray water" sump or drain.
It's a puzzler, but apparently something is freezing somewhere.
Often on a septic system, some people plumb some of their "gray water" (basically any water that isn't from a toilet) into a separate sump or drain to help keep from overloading the septic system.
Your Health Department (permitting agency) should have a drawing of your septic system outside of the house. Have you checked with them?
Mike

Old 01-03-02, 12:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Mike:
Thanks very much for the drawing and the info! I've got the county looking and will hopefully get something in the mail soon. Your guess sounds like a winner...given all the odd circumstances. I'll try a few things and get back to the forum! Take care,
Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: