Black specs in water

Old 01-04-02, 06:10 PM
tbone946
Visiting Guest
Black specs in water

When turning on the kitchen faucet, I am getting little black specs in the water. It is more prevalent when I turn on the hot water. We have Price Pfister single handle faucet. The screens at the end of the faucet keeps filling up with these black specs. I took off the screens thinking it might be the washer in the aerator but that is not the case because I still got the little black specs after the aerator was removed. We don't have any sort of filtration devices on the faucet or inline. Any other ideas?

Old 01-04-02, 11:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

The black specks are most likely scale particles from inside galvanized water pipes.
Do you have galvanized pipes, or know if any are in your water supply system?
The only solution to obsolete galvanized pipes is replacement.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-06-02, 04:20 AM
tbone946
Visiting Guest
We don't have any galvanized pipes. We have the standard copper pipes. I also want to add that we haven't noticed the black specs coming out of any other faucet except the kitchen. The problem seemed to have started when I shut off the water to replace an o-ring on the single handled faucet. When I turned it back on that is when the black particles started and also the water pressure has been lower than it was before this project.
I have opened up the shut off valve as far as I could, but could it be stuck partially opened?

Old 01-06-02, 04:54 AM
Cool

This is beginning to sound like it's from deteriorated black rubber washers in the shut-off valves.
Have you shut off the main water, and taken those apart to check them?
Mike

Old 01-21-02, 06:34 PM
tbone946
Visiting Guest
Well, I checked the washers at the shutoff valve and they were deteriorating. So those have been replaced. I also replaced the cartridge in the Price-Pfister faucet, but we are still experiencing the black specs in the water. Are there anymore washers that may need to be replaced? The washer in the aerator is okay because I took that off and was still getting the black specs. The specs appear to be more prevalent when the hot water is turned on. Any other ideas? I appreciate your help.

Old 01-22-02, 02:33 AM
Cool

Then you may need to flush the sediment from your water heater, which should be done several times a year anyway.
The kitchen faucet may be nearest the water heater, and is getting more than its share of the sediment specks.
To flush your heater:
A. Attach a water hose to the drain spigot at the bottom of the heater. Run it to a floor drain, a driveway, or the street (hot water can kill grass or plants).
B. Let it run until the water runs clear.
It's a process of elimination.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: