Vent pipe frozen

Old 01-05-02, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent pipe frozen

Got up on the roof today to check my plumbing vents 'cause the sinks were gurgling and found one of my vents clogged with ice. The vent pipe only extends about 18 inches above the roof and is in an addition with cathedral ceiling (no attic space). Is there some way I can prevent this from happening every winter? Is there a problem with the way it was installed, it seems pretty level, should there be an angle to the pipe? I was thinking of getting a "cap" to keep water from getting into the pipe but am not sure that would work. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-02, 08:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Not being familiar with Ohio winters, is the 18" well above snow and ice buildup on your roof?
If the vent is clear, it shouldn't fill up or freeze over with ice and snow. (It should be straight up, and all rain, sleet and snow should go right down through it into the bottom of the drain/waste/vent system, mixing with the waste water going into the sewer.
You can get vent caps to go on the pipe if it's tall enough, however.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-07-02, 12:29 PM
Thanks Mike. Yes, the vent should (I hope !) be well above and snow or ice on the roof. When I found it plugged with ice I used hot water to melt the ice and the water was not going down too well. I pulled up on the pipe to give it some slope at the elbow and that seemed to help. I think this was the cause of the ice to begin with, not enough slope to drain any water that had fallen into the pipe. If it happens again I will try the caps, found some that will fit at the local hardware store.

Pat Russell