Bigger Water Heater or Tankless

Old 01-08-02, 01:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Bigger Water Heater or Tankless

Looking for some opinions and/or suggestions.

I currently have a 40-gallon hot water heater (approx. 10 years old) and with our current schedule for school and work have 4 of us taking showers in a 1 1/4 hour time period.

Being the third person in, I usually run out of hot water 1/2 way through my shower.

Knowing that I'm probably going to have to replace the hot water heater soon, any suggestions on whether I should go with a 50 or 60 gallon heater or switch to tankless.

I've done some research and tankless looks like it would work with our schedules and might save some money (not having to heat 50 gallons all day long). But not sure about how they really work in real life.

Anyone opinions on which to use or any experiences with tankless would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-02, 12:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not a pro plumber, but from other posts on the subject in here, the tankless heaters are much more energy efficient, but the main drawback with them is getting parts and experienced people to work on them.
Unless you've got a local tankless dealer that you're sure is going to be in business for the long haul, I think that I would go with a larger conventional heater.
Your call.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-08-02, 05:11 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
A 40 gallon heater only delivers 27 gallons per hour.
I would install 2-fifty gallon heaters in parallel. that'll give
you around 74 gallon per hour

Old 01-13-02, 01:06 PM
Falcon2dr
Visiting Guest
Tempering Tank

One idea is to get a plain tank that will hold water, before it goes into your Hot Water Heater, so it doesn't have to work so hard to heat it. Your Hot tank will draw from this tank, that is somewhat pre-warmed.

If you had hot water heat, you can even have you heat water run through the tank before it ran to the rest of your house.

We have one only because it came with the house, but I am glad to have it, Our Hot Tank is only a 30 gal, one.

Old 01-13-02, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
And remember you're not really heating that 50 gals all day long; once it gets to temp the heating elements shut off and only come back on periodically to maintain the temp. Modern, well-insulated units are very efficient at maintaining the water temp between cycles.