"Hissing" sound in exterior wall in bathroom

Old 01-08-02, 04:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Question "Hissing" sound in exterior wall in bathroom

After returning from Christmas vacation a week ago, we have discovered a "hissing" sound in the exterior wall of our bathroom. "Hissing" isn't exactly the best word to describe the sound, but is definitely the sound of water passing through a pipe. The sound is in the wall where the plumbing for the toilet and the double sink is located.

After checking out the toilet tank for possible leaks (although we didn't do the food coloring test, but there were no ripples on the water surface of the tank or the bowl), we turned off all the water valves in the house --- kitchen sink, bathroom sinks, toilets, dishwasher, clothes washer, etc., but the noise continued.

When we turned off the water supply to the whole house, then and only then did the noise stop.

You can hear this noise when you stand on the outside of the house at this same wall.

There is no water leaking on the floor, under the sinks, outside the house, etc. I even walked around outside looking at the grass and the plants to see if they're looking greener in case we are unknowingly watering them!

Where should we begin? What might this be?

Thanks--

Tangent
actually my name should be tangential thinker, but the system didn't allow for that many letters!

Old 01-08-02, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
[SIZE=3]Crawlspace? look under the house.[/SIZE]

Old 01-08-02, 04:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Is there a section of wall that you can cut an inspection hole into? Under the sink perhaps .... near where the sound is loudest.

Old 01-08-02, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Sounds like you have a pinhole leak in a (copper?) water line.
If you're on public water, check the meter for a small triangle or dial. It spins very rapidly when water is running anywhere in the house, and it should be at a complete dead stop when all water is off.
If it moves at all, you have a leak and you'll have to cut into the wall to locate and repair it.
Use a drinking glass against the wall with your ear against the bottom of the glass to find out where the leak seems to be the loudest.
Once you find the most likely area, pour a double into the glass and shoot it. You'll enjoy D-I-Y better that way. LOL.
Now cut into the wall and repair the leak (hopefully under the sink).
If you need any how-to help, just come back on this same thread and ask.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-08-02, 04:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Follow-up to replies

Thanks for the ideas. Duh, I forgot to add that the hosue was built in 1972 and hasn't ever been replumbed!!!

No crawlspace, Plumber 2000. I'm in Florida and if we dig too deep, we hit the water aquifer!

Thanks for the tip on the water meter, the glass on the wall, and all, Albemarle plumber dude. (I had forebears from Ocracoke Island and New Bern --- duuuuuuude.) I'll have to go check on that tomorrow.

My question is, though, if we have a leak in a pipe (and yes, they are copper) where's the water going? Between the concrete blocks and on down to the slab the house is built on? Should we be seeing some kind of water appearing...somewhere??

We had a pinhole leak in the wall behind a closet in our old house which resulted in a very soggy closet carpet and soggy hall, so that's why I'm curious about where this stuff could be going.

Thanks again --- Tangent

Old 01-08-02, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

The water could be going down a pipe hole to under the slab, which is good in a way because it isn't damaging anything yet.
You'll probably see where, whenever you find the leak.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-08-02, 11:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Today's the day

Hey guys --- Thanks again for the ideas. Looks like today's the day for cracking the wall open, whether I really want to or not. After I logged off last night to go to bed, I heards that the hissing noise was louder.

(sigh)

Not what I had in mind for today, but I guess this is home ownership!

Tangent

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: