Nubie ?: Bleeding the H2Oheater?

Old 01-11-02, 05:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Nubie ?: Bleeding the H2Oheater?

I remember my Dad doing this once a year. What's the purpose? I'm experiencing poor Hotwater performance and pressure. HW Heater located in basement is 5 yrs. old. No indication (outwardly) of any problems. I've replaced shower heads (removed plastic pressure fitting) and insulated hotwater pipes--no increase in performance. I'm going to get the hotwater heater blanket to see if that helps. Some values (upstair tub w/ separate h/c valves work great) some dont. Some valves with have both (kitchen sink) work fine, other bathrooms with similar fixtures don't. Saw an earlier post suggesting "cleaning" the valves--more detail on this please. Is this something a person pretty handy with tools can tackle or should fixtures be replaced??

New homeowner...

Old 01-11-02, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

The purpose of flushing a water heater tank regularly is to flush out sediment that builds up in the bottom, affecting the performance.
Sediment also can be stirred up and can get into the lines, partially clogging faucet valves, sink aerators, showerheads, etc.
To check and clean them, turn off the main water shut-off valve, and disassemble what you think may be restricted and clean them out.
You shouldn't have to replace any fixtures, just clean or repair them.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-11-02, 07:21 AM
Visiting Guest
One ? answered, 1 needing more data..

Thanks Mike.

Now, with respect to disassembling...suggestions as where to start. Should I take off the "spickets" and clean or replace the metal screen filters? How would one do this for the hot water spicket for the washer? Or, do you suggest removing the entire fixtures and using an airhose to flush out particals.

I seem to also remember something about using white vinegar when cleaning shower heads et. al. Care to elaborate?

Thanks in advance!

AJG

Old 01-11-02, 07:29 AM
Cool

You can unscrew the aerators on the end of the faucet spigots, and clean them out.
You can unscrew the showerheads, soak them overnight in vinegar to dissolve mineral buildup, and clean them out.
You can unscrew washing machine hoses (turn off water first), and clean the screens in the ends of the hoses.
You can attach a water hose to the drain spigot at the bottom of the water heater, and drain it into a floor drain, driveway or the street, if possible (hot water can kill grass and plants).
You can turn the water off, remove the faucet handles, unscrew the valve stems or faucet assemblies, and clean them out.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-13-02, 02:33 AM
Visiting Guest
RIght on the $$

Thanks Mike for your post.

I've done the sinks and shower heads, but not the Washer as I'm having some problems disconnecting the hoses. However, I've treated them with some penetrating oil and will try it later on this a.m.

I haven't tackled unscrewing the shower faucets, but just cleaning the head and cleaning the screens in the sink basins has made a 100% difference!

As to bleeding the H2O heater, how long should it bleed. a few minutes, or until all the hot water is out?

Old 01-13-02, 02:42 AM
Cool

Water Heater
Since you do not turn the cold water supply valve to the heater off to flush it, just drain the water until it runs clear with no sediment or rust color.
(Never turn off the water supply to the heater, unless you turn off the power or gas first.)
It shouldn't take but a few minutes to flush the tank, but run it as long as it takes.
Shower
If you have a shower only, you will need a set of valve sockets to remove the shower valves. If it's working O.K. now and not leaking, you probably don't need to do that anyway.
Washer Hoses
Turn off the washer hose water spigots. Use channel-lock pliers on the handles, if necessary, to turn them. Hold the spigots with a pipe wrench for backup to keep from twisting the pipes, and unscrew the hoses with a pair of channel-locks for leverage.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: