remove stripped valve seat?

Old 01-12-02, 07:08 AM
Visiting Guest
remove stripped valve seat?

I am attempting to fix a leaking Tophat valve in the master bath that controls the hot water to the shower/bathtub. After replacing the rubber grommet I found that the valve seat is corroded and allowing water to pass through when the valve is closed. The seat appears removable, but seat removal tool is spinning in the hole. I think I stripped the hole.

Is there a way to get the seat out? I am thinking of using a drill, but I'm wary of destroying the surrounding copper pipe. Any ideas on a drill bit size or better method? I could not find a seat cleaner at local plumbing supply.

Thanks, Eric

Old 01-12-02, 08:51 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Buy a $5.00 seat wrench at the Home Depot, the wrench that you want is a "L" shape and has three sizes on it (gets larger as you go up ), do not get the tappered wrench, make sure it has only three sizes. Insert wrench into seat and tap with a hammer (not to hard) then turn to the left. This usually works for me, if you still have a problem I would try an easy out. Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-02, 09:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

If this is a removable seat, and the hole is stripped, you might try an EZ-Out.

They come in different sizes.
Just find one that will fit tightly in the hole, tap it in gently (enough to "bite", but not hard enough to damage the brass threads), and unscrew the seat counter-clockwise.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-12-02, 09:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Hey, Dave!
How are you?
I got delayed by a phone call, and you answered before I could get back to it. "Great Minds", huh?
LOL
Mike

Old 01-12-02, 09:15 AM
L
Hi Mike, I am doing fine thanks how about yourself. Hope you had a great holiday and a happy and healthy new year.

Old 01-12-02, 11:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Since posting I picked up an easy out. I'll give it a try. I've not had much luck with these things in the automotive world .

thanks, Eric

Old 01-12-02, 02:23 PM
Visiting Guest
30 seconds later, and it's out. They should just rent these things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: