water pressure

Old 01-15-02, 07:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy water pressure

When I turn on the water(hot or cold) there is not very much pressure, if I turn on a second line the water barely comes out. I have 3/4" pipe coming in the house which goes down to 1/2" at Facuets. I think the problem is out side the house but not sure. Please Help "very annoying"

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-02, 08:02 PM
Cool

Are you on public water with a Pressure Reducing Valve?
Are you on a private well sysem?
Do you have galvanized pipes?
'Have you removed and cleaned all faucet aerators, showerheads, etc.?

Old 01-15-02, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
I do not have a pressure reducing valve.

Have city water.

Replaced the old copper pipe when new ones thinking that was the problem.

have removed and cleaned all faucet aerators, showerhead, etc.

Old 01-15-02, 08:32 PM
Cool

If you are certain that the meter valve and all of your cut-off valves are wide open, you need to check with your public water supplier as to their pressure at your meter.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-15-02, 08:40 PM
Try outside faucets, do you get the same results?

Old 01-15-02, 08:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Same results with the out side faucet

Old 01-15-02, 08:51 PM
When was the last time you had good pressure? Is the water service from the meter to the house new?

Old 01-15-02, 08:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I have never had good water pressure since I moved here. No the meter is not new at least I don't think.

Old 01-16-02, 08:52 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
What material is the pipe from the city supply to the house? The line may be restricted. Here is another thing you can try. There are two variables here, flow and pressure. A constricted pipe will give you good static pressure ( when there is no flow) - up to what is available in the city main. However, if you open a valve to draw water, the pressure drops off significantly (called residual pressure at some flow rate). Get a pressure gage and hook directly it to an outside faucet. Open the faucet and read the pressure - this is your static pressure. No go inside and open a cold water faucet full. Then read the pressure gage outside. This is residual pressure at what ever the flow rate is from the faucet. Let me know these numbers.

There are a lot of problems in our area with this residual pressure - the pipes are old and clogged with iron, calcium, etc. They should be replaced but as usual, its politics at its best. They show quite good static pressure but when one opens a faucet, the pipes are so restricted, wvey low flow gets through. The other problem is the low limit for pressure on the city main, set by some governmental authority, is only 30 PSI at the "curb". our water authority says that is all they are required to maintain - they don't even pay much attention to residual pressure except for fire flows. You would not believe the number of people who have replaced their entire copper plumbing systems - in their houses with 1 in copper because the water department told them the problem was their pipes were too small.

Old 01-16-02, 09:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I called the city. They came out took the meter off and discovered that there was no pressure at all going to my house. So they are going to fix it and clean the meter.