Replacing Brass Stems

Old 01-21-02, 11:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Replacing Brass Stems

I'm having troubles figuring out how to replace the brass stems for my tub.

Recently I was putting up an enclosure around my tub when the end of one of my brass stems broke off inside the knob.

When I look at the stem, I can see that it is connected to two nuts. I was able to take the first nut off, but I was still unable to take the stem out. I'm going to have a hard time getting to the second nut, so I want to make sure that is what I want/need to do before I go any further.

As far as I know, the bath tub is still the original plumbing from 1964. Any suggestions or comments?

thanks,
eric

Old 01-21-02, 03:39 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
First off, of course, you want to turn the water to the house off at either the main shut off or the water meter before you remove the stem. To get it out, you need to loosen the larger of the two nuts you see. To reach it, you may need to have a set of plumbing valve sockets, or at least the one that fits your particular stem. You can get a set at Home Depot, Lowes, a hardware store, etc. for less than $10. Take the old stem with you to get a replacement. You need an exact match, not just a close one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: