does constant heat affect teflon tape?

Old 01-22-02, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
does constant heat affect teflon tape?

i had to redo the pvc to my shallow well pump. it's been fine for several weeks, until last night. the pump was running to re-pressurize, and the heat built up around where the pvc connects to the pump. i used teflon tape and pipe sealer. is there something else i should use?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-02, 06:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Nope.
And a pump heating up is normal.
Mike

Old 01-22-02, 07:16 AM
i'm at a loss...

my pump must be haunted... this is the third time i've replaced the pvc threaded connection. i used at least 3 wraps of tape and then gooped it up with sealer, and i still leaks....

Old 01-22-02, 08:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

When all else fails (maybe the pump threads have rusted out a bit), use silicone caulk and allow it to dry before putting pressure on it. An hour or two should be sufficient.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-23-02, 12:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Pump motors will heat up, but the pump body that contains the water coming out of a shallow well should not heat up as the water out the ground is cooler than ambient temperature.
One reason the pump body is heating up is that the mechanism that turns the motor off when building pressure up in the pressure tank(vessel) is at fault and not sensing the pump has been building pressure. If it is a common type of pressure switch then the switch needs replaced or there is a blockage of rust etc. where the switch screws onto the pipework/pump. Or the pump has got worn parts by pumping sand or old age and can't build up to the pressure that the pressure switch is originally set at. The pump could have an air leak in the suction pipe or if there is a foot/non-return valve in the suction it could be at fault. If the pressure tank has a bladder/diapragm in it the pressure tank could have too much air pressure in it working against the pump trying to build pressure, remember to check this pressure when the pump is unplugged and there is a discharge tap open. If the pump is running too long to build up pressure and this is overheating the pump body then no matter how good the pipe sealant is that is not your problem. Thread seal tape is fine to use, but figure out why the pump/pipework is overheating. The PVC fittings threads will have shrunk if the water has been hot, so will have to replace this threaded fitting, but find out the cause of overheating or you will have to replace the fitting more than once.