Fiberglass Tub Fixtures

Old 01-22-02, 12:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Fiberglass Tub Fixtures

I have two (2) fiberglass tub/shower units which have typical three (3) fixture handles (Hot, cold, and shower handles). I want to change those fixtures. Do I have to cut-out the fiberglass wall behind them and is there such sort of escuchen or cover plate that will cover this cut-out???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-02, 03:43 PM
When you are changing out a tub/shower valve, go in from the back side. Don't be cutting holes in the fiberglass. You're only limitation at this point is that since you have a 3 handle valve, you will pretty much have to stick to 3 handle valves.

Old 01-23-02, 10:30 AM
Visiting Guest
I'd love to go in the back sidebut, the 2 tub/shower units are back to back on either side of the same wall!! And,of course, the shower fixtures are at standing level in the one unit and the other fixtures are at tub level so I can't just open up one fiberglass hole and do both!!

Old 01-23-02, 10:41 AM
Cool

They make single-handle tub/shower faucets now to replace dual handle faucets, and they use the existing faucet body in the wall.
There is a large estucheon plate (choice of chrome or polished brass) that covers the old holes, and the new single-handle faucet is in the middle.
You don't have to go into the wall, or cut the fiberglas. They are installed from the fiberglas tub/shower side.
I believe that Price-Pfister makes them, among others.
A neighbor of mine recently had this done by a plumber, but I haven't seen it.
You might try a search on the Internet, or call around at plumbing supply houses.
Good Luck!
Mike