Varying pressure, pipe clicking on main supply

Old 01-23-02, 11:54 AM
DarrinH
Visiting Guest
Question Varying pressure, pipe clicking on main supply

Newbie to the forum here, I have a question about my plumbing. Piping in the house is PVC, I have a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the cold water supply near the hot water heater. It does not do it all the time but say about 5 times an hour. The main supply runs to the hot water heater skewed through holes in the floor joists above. I definitely know where it is coming from because my basement is unfinished. I put my ear to the pipe and can hear it even louder.
Also, I seem to have some varying water pressure at my house. When you turn the faucets on sometimes you get a rush of water then it tapers down a little to a normal flow. This does not happen all the time.
I live at the top of a vary steep hill as well.
The house is 2.5 story and the pressure in the bathroom in the top story is fine as long as no other appliances are running using water. Toliet flushes in the bathroom below also lower the pressure to the top floor.
I suspect water hammer due to varying pressure but really am not sure.

Oh one other thing my hot water heater sometimes leaks a little trace from the pressure relief valve. I understand that when you get a small leak of water its due to pressure. When you get a large output from the relief valve its due to temperature. I have already relpaced both elements, thermostats and the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater. The thermostats did stick once causing a lot of water to come out. So while I was at it I replaced the elements (electric of course). So far only once have I had a little bit of water come from the new pressure relief valve. When I say once I mean in about a two month span.

Last edited by DarrinH; 01-23-02 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-02, 12:57 PM
Cool

Ticking Plastic Pipes
Hot water from your heater can expand back into the cold water supply line, which will cause it to expand and contract a bit, creating the "ticking" noise.
You also can get this ticking noise when running hot water into a plastic drain line.
It's normal, and doesn't hurt anything.

Varying Water Pressure
Also, normal.
Even public water pressure to your home will vary due to usage along the public main line.
Water pressure at your faucets, whether on public water or a private well, will be at its max until you open a faucet. Then it will drop to whatever it is going to be at its normal flow, given other usage.
Pushing water uphill also will lower the head pressure, as will pushing water upstairs.
About the only way to alleviate fluctuating water pressure would be to install a booster pump at your home to maintain a more constant pressure.
Also, you may have a Pressure Reducing Valve on the house side of the meter, if you're on public water. These are adjustable, and maybe you can increase your pressure, if you have one.

Water Hammer
This can be caused by a number of things, but primarily it is due to loose pipes in the walls that have the water abruptly shut off at a faucet, toilet valve, etc.
There are water hammer arresters that can be installed at your various fixtures, but some don't think that they're worth the expense.
If you can get to any pipes where they pass through a wooden structural member, you may be able to wedge a small piece of wood in the hole beside the pipe to help reduce the hammer.

Hope that this helped answer your questions. Each water pressure situation is different, and there are things that can be done to improve it.

Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-24-02, 12:55 PM
DarrinH
Visiting Guest
Ticking Plastic Pipes
Hot water from your heater can expand back into the cold water supply line, which will cause it to expand and contract a bit, creating the "ticking" noise.
You also can get this ticking noise when running hot water into a plastic drain line.
It's normal, and doesn't hurt anything.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks, the ticking doesnt' really sound like the way hot water does going throug a drain pipe. I have heard that before. Its funny trying to describe this noise but it is definitely coming from the cold water side of the tank and it does it spuratically. Maybe shuffling would be a better term. Anything else that may be needed to rule out a problem near the heater?
What do you think would cause the pressure release valve (new one) to open and release some water? The varying pressure?

Old 01-25-02, 02:28 AM
Cool

If you have a new T&P valve that is leaking, you may have a problem with overheating due to a faulty upper thermostat and
the overheating prevention module above it (re-set button).
Replace them to see if that doesn't stop the leaking.
Or, if you're on public water and have a Pressure Reducing Valve, you may need an expansion tank on your water heater.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-25-02, 07:03 AM
DarrinH
Visiting Guest
I replaced that upper thermostat with the reset button along with the the lower thermostat earlier. Checked it last night and had more water in a bucket from the pressure release valve pipe.

So do you think the problem is from the varying pressure or should I replace the upper thermostat again? Possibly the contact is not good for that shutoff mechanism.

I would hate to purchase a new hot water tank to have that one exibit the same result and the problem be the result of the varying pressure.

Old 01-26-02, 05:44 AM
Cool

Is the back of the upper tstat firmly against the side of the water heater so that the sensor on the back is picking up the heat?
If not, just bend the bracket holding the tstat so that it is.
You should not have to replace a water heater usually unless the tank itself is leaking. Everything else can be repaired/replaced.
It is possible that you may have some debris in that new T&P valve or even a faulty T&P valve.
Replace the T&P valve again.
If that doesn't do it, you may need an expansion tank on your heater, if you have a Pressure Reducing Valve on public water.
Good Luck!
Mike