check valve bad?

Old 01-24-02, 01:55 PM
Visiting Guest
check valve bad?

A few months ago, I noticed the pressure switch was going on and off some, even when the water hadn't been used for a long time. A plumber friend said it might be the check valve.
Now we have air in the lines. When we turn the water on, it sputters for up to several minutes and acts as if we had drained the lines. Is this the check valve? Is there another possibility? If it is the check valve, where is it, and what do I have to do to fix it? I'd like to fix it myself if possible. Thanks

Old 01-24-02, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For what I know about wells, which is not much, the air getting in your lines is not caused by a check valve, it sounds more like the bladded in the holding tank is leaking, Mike on here is up on wells, so keep cheking back, he will know more them I about wells.

Old 01-24-02, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

It may have been the check valve on the suction (well) side of the pump allowing the prime to leak back down to the well, until you mentioned that you had air in the lines.
THAT sounds like you have an air leak at a connection somewhere.
Spritz a bit of shaving cream around all pipe connections around the pump, and run the pump. Threads can rust and corrode, and start leaking.
If you see indentations in the shaving cream, take that connection apart and re-seal it. If it is a threaded connection, wrap 2-3 flat turns of teflon tape clockwise only around the male threads, and tighten it back up.
If you can't find a leak at a connection (which is what I suspect), then check the air pressure in the pressure tank bladder with a tire pressure gauge. Unplug or turn off the power to your pump, and drain the water pressure off before checking. It should be two psi below your cut-on.
If it isn't, air it back up with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor. If it won't hold the minimum 2 psi below your cut-on, you;ll have to replace the pressure tank.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-24-02, 06:36 PM
See like I said Mike will know more them I on this subject, Thanks Mike for setting me stright.

Old 01-24-02, 10:21 PM
P
Check valve bad?

Hi,
If the pump is a submersible well pump, the problem could be a bad check valve. The water will drain back to the well, leaving the drop pipe empty. When the pump starts, the "empty" space is force to the surface, through the pressure tank and into the water lines. The problem is usually at it's worst when the pump has sat unused for awhile, like overnight.
The check valve is located directly above the pump, meaning the pump will need to be pulled to replace the check valve. This usually isn't a do-it-yourself project, unless the submersible pump is at a shallow setting, and can be pulled by hand.
Best regards,
Pumpman
www.peekspump.com

Old 02-02-02, 10:35 AM
Visiting Guest
I was finally able to talk to a master plumber friend of mine and he is going to help me with it. He agrees that it is the check valve on the pump down in the well. Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-02-02, 06:29 PM
P
Check valve bad?

Since you're going to pull the pump, this is the time to inspect the sub cable and drop pipe connections, etc. Easier to do it now than having to pull the pump again to repair a simple problem.
By the way, if the pump is set very deep, it is recommended that there be a check valve every one hundred feet. If you have a shallow setting, the one above the pump will be sufficient.
Be safe.
Ron
www.peekspump.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: