hot water problems

Old 01-24-02, 07:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy hot water problems

I have a hot water problem with our church, hot water is supplied from an gas heater approx. 40 feet from the kitchen and bathroom area, which consist of four sinks and two showers and four toliets. When hot water is turned on in any of the sinks or shower it is hot for about 10-20 seconds and slowly goes cold.
I've turned off valves under each sink trying to pin point a possible by- passing faucet, and replaced the cartridges in the moen showers. There are two other bath rooms at the front of the church only 15 feet away from the water heater which seam to run hot water with out the temp. loss.
I've checked the hot water tank in and out lines feeling each for hot and cold, in an effort to test the lines for temp before removing them to see if the DIP rod in intact and working.
It appears something in the system in drawing cold water in, in replaces of hot, but I'm at a loss from where. Should I be checking the water heater more closely,,,,but then why would the bathrooms that are closer to the heater have unlimeted hot water????????????

I have not pulled out the DIP lines to check them, no addtional repairs have been done to the plumbing and there is no laundry.
If the DIP line is bad would it still permit hot water to flow to the closer bathrooms and only flow the first few seconds to the bathrooms and kitchen down stream 40 feet away????? There is not an addtional water heater in the system.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-02, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have there been any plumbing work done lately?

Could there be a 2nd water heater hidden somewhere that your not aware of?

Was the dip tube intact?

Is there a laundry room that might have a all in one valve that mixes before filling the washer machine up?

Is there a crawl under the church to trace the lines to make sure there is no crossed lines?

Thats about all I can think of.

Old 01-25-02, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: hot water problems

Originally posted by den777

I have not pulled out the DIP lines to check them, no addtional repairs have been done to the plumbing and there is no laundry.
If the DIP line is bad would it still permit hot water to flow to the closer bathrooms and only flow the first few seconds to the bathrooms and kitchen down stream 40 feet away?????
It's worth the check on the dip tube, what do you got to lose, you might just find the dip tube has failed.

Thats what I would do if I was investigating the problem.