Whoops: PVC Glue on CPVC

Old 01-26-02, 05:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Whoops: PVC Glue on CPVC

I have CPVC supply lines for a basement sink and was attaching a glue on shut-off valve for those lines. Unfortunately, I used PVC glue, instead of CPVC glue to attach the valves. Should I start over or will the PVC glue work?

Old 01-26-02, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can use pvc glue on cpvc pipe, the reason there is a glue for cpvc is the ones that make this cpvc pipe will not warranty there product unless you use the cpvc glue, it's up to you, if you want the warranty protection cut and replace, if your not concerned about a warranty, then don't worry about it.

Old 02-03-02, 05:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the info. Now that I know that it has more to do with product marketing and little to do with chemical reasons, I am in a better position to decide!

Old 02-04-02, 07:19 PM
P
are you positive? I had a system blow wide open on me the first time I made that mistake. I didn't wait for the full cure time but I thought sure that it was caused by the wrong glue. Do you know the chemical differences?

Old 02-04-02, 08:53 PM
Yes had a CED class and the inspector brought this up, I did not believe it myself, till I was told about it, Do not know the chemical contents, but I have used pvc glue on cpvc pipe with out a problem. I guess one need to ask a chemical engineer to find out what will work and what will not.

But all that reads this, do at all means use the glue that the pipe says to use.

Don't go repiping your house and use the wrong glue, just cause you heard it on here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: