Leaky kitchen faucet.

Old 01-26-02, 01:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Leaky kitchen faucet.

My mother has an old house, with a leaky kitchen faucet. The faucet is old and I don't know how to loosen the nut to get the handles off so I can put in a new washer, if that's what is needed. She has no shut off valves, just copper tubing up to the faucet. Also, how do you get the nuts loose attached to the sink under the faucet?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-02, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exactly what is it you want to do; replace the washers or replace the entire faucet? Either way, you will have to shut the water to the house off, so this would be a wonderful time to put shut-off valves below the faucet.

To replace just the washers (and the seats if needed), remove the screws that hold the handles in place. You may need a handle puller to get the handles themselves off. Then you will have access to the nuts that hold the stems in place. Once those are off, you will have a screw on the bottom of each stem that holds the washer. The seat will need a seat wrench to remove it and to install the new on. Reassembly is everything I just mentioned in the reverse order.

To replace the entire faucet, disconnect the supply lines from the bottom of the faucet, then remove the nuts that hold the faucet to the sink. It may be that you'll have to cut the nuts to get them off if they are too corroded. Just be careful not to damage the bottom of the sink while doing this. Then the old faucet will lift out. Use new supply lines when you install the new faucet.