stem replacement

Old 01-26-02, 04:45 PM
Da Vinci
Visiting Guest
Unhappy stem replacement

I have a tub/shower valve combination that I can't easily get too. The tub handles have broken and I have replacements. The hot water stem leaks when the cold water is on. I would like to replace both stems on this two handle tub valve assembly. I don't know how hard to pull on them or how to remove them. Also I need to remove at least one before I can purchase replacement since I don't know what brand they are. The handles have Aqua Line on the handle caps but this is little help. I can't tell if the stems screw out or just pull out. I have tried to pull them out but stopped because I though I was damaging them and wouldn't be able to find replacements. I don't want to replace the tub valve assembly because that looks like to much trouble. How do I proceed to remove the stems from the tub valve assembly?: D

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-02, 12:13 AM
Cool

You don't have to replace the faucet valve body.
You can replace the stem valves (and seats, if necessary).
You will need a set of valve socket wrenches (about $12 bucks) to find the one that will fit your valves:

Socket Wrench Set

Turn off the water, and open the bathroom sink fauet(s) to relive water pressure.
Remove the handles off of the valve stems.
Find the hex part of the valves and the socket that fits, and remove them counter-clockwise.
Check the valve seats in the wall with a flashlight and your fingertip. If they are corroded, remove and replace those as well.
You will need an inexpensive seat tool to remove them, which you can get where you got the socket set.
Take the valves with you to the store to get an exact match.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-27-02, 08:31 AM
Da Vinci
Visiting Guest
Stem replacement

I did get those exact wrenches but was able to figure out how to use them. None of the wrenches (from either end) fit anywhere on the stem or tub valve body. The tub valve body has threads that surround the valve body where handles are attached. There is a nut that goes there and holds the ornatmental covers. And the stems are located inside this piping. furthermore, I don't believe they are threaded or screwed in. One, the cold stem, now spins around and the tub/shower cold water handle is positioned so that the water shuts off but with slight force it will go around again. I have a vague idea but my confidence is lacking so any posts give me renewed strength to tackle this matter so thank you very much. I must admit that what I want to hear is that the stems just pop out.

Old 01-27-02, 08:51 AM
The stems just don't pop out, not what you wanted to hear, remove all the trim from the valve, sometimes the nut on the front which is called the packing nut, once removed, the stem could unscrew from the point. without knowing what the brand of the faucet is, it makes it hard to determine how it comes apart, would be nice if you could get a picture on-line so we could see it.

Old 01-27-02, 04:42 PM
Send picture to me via e-mail? I will post it on my web site for showing on here

Old 01-27-02, 07:15 PM