washer drainage hose backing up

Old 01-27-02, 08:54 AM
Visiting Guest
washer drainage hose backing up

we moved into our house three years ago and to be honest the washer has always backed up alittle but was never intolerable ..until now. it seems to hyave gotten worse lately. my husband snaked the pipe pipe and the drain on the basement floor. He's not sure thinks that the washer hose might be draing into a vent pipe. Is this something that is done sometimes? Would it help to clean the vent pipe from the roof?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-02, 09:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

A washer drain hose is usually hooked into the open top of a washing machine standpipe with a trap at the bottom of it under the floor.
Sometimes lint, soap scum, etc. can buildup in this trap.
Snake it out with a flexible snake to see if that doesn't alleviate the problem.
If not, you'll have to remove a clean-out plug and snake the main drain line for a clog. It doesn't sound like a venting problem.
All drain/waste/vent pipes are connected. Just FYI, here is what a basic d/w/v looks like:

Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-27-02, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer drain lines need to be cleaned out to there full bore, that means using full size cutter blades on a machine, most rental yards only has a cleaning tool on there machine thar's not good enough to really do a job on laundry drains.

Since the washer pumps out water at a high rate of speed, it is important for the drain to be free of build-up through out it's lenght of run, meaning, if the drain has a build-up in it and it is enough to to restrict the flow of water through it, it will tend to back up.

To remedy this problem, have the line clened out correctly, using blades to the full bore, usally rental equipment is not good enough, I would recommend calling a drain cleaning company to solve htis problem, they will have the right equipment.

Old 01-27-02, 09:24 AM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
They gave you great advice and it will most likely solve your problem but I have a question about your wash machine. Have you recently purchased a new one and is that about the time your drain problem got worse? I ask for the same reason that Plumber 2000 suggested. New wash machines REALLY pump the water out and usually need or benefit from a larger drain line to help them drain properly. So if running a sewer machine in the drain does'nt help, replumbing that line larger might be your next step. Hope this helps!