leaking bathtub faucet

Old 01-27-02, 01:37 PM
Visiting Guest
leaking bathtub faucet

I have a two handle bathtub faucet ... how do I replace the washer in the handles?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-02, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turn the water off to house, remove the handle and trim, remove the stems, on the bottom of the stem is where the washer are at, replace these, check the seats in the body of the valve, this is where the washer butts up against, make sure there smooth and have no pits on the face of them, reinstall the stem, turn water on, check for leaks, if no leaks then re-install the trim.

Old 01-27-02, 01:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I got the handle off ... how do I get the stem off? Is that the piece that the handle screws onto?

Old 01-27-02, 02:00 PM
The trim needs to be removed this is screwed onto the stem, remove this and you should see how the stem is screwed into the valve.

Old 01-27-02, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Forgive me for seeming ignorant, but I am in this case ... I took the trim off and there is a big bolt looking thing ... does this come off? This is a very old house and there is no telling how long that faucet has been there ... is there something I can do to loosen it?

Old 01-27-02, 02:07 PM
Yes that is how there are removed, by using a socket that comes in a set like these they are designed to remove the stems, find these at Home Depot or any plumbing store.

Old 01-27-02, 02:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Is there any way to remove the gunk to help loosen them? Like I said they have probably been there for years ...

Old 01-27-02, 02:26 PM
These tools will slip over the big nut, turn counter clockwise to remove them, if there is stuff around the stem not allowing you the slip the socket on them then use a screwdriver the help remove the stuff that if preventing the scocket from slipping on them.