drip at end of shower head

Old 01-28-02, 01:26 PM
Visiting Guest
drip at end of shower head

Moen brand single handle shower valve is leaking water up to shower head. Can the diverter valve be fixed or replaced without replacing entire piece which would involve soldering?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-02, 02:47 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
A couple of questions for you to help me. Is the diverter a small stem that pulls out of the chrome cover (escutchoen) or the tub spout?? Does the shower drip when filling the tub or when you are not running water at all?? If its the second you just need a new cartridge. If its an old Moen ( not pressure balanced) it will take a 1225 Magnum If its a newer one (pressure balanced) it will be a 1222. Hope this helps and if its not the second thing let me know>

Old 01-28-02, 04:16 PM
Visiting Guest
T.J. There is no tub it's just a shower stall with single handle on wall. Behing handle is single stem that pull out/in left/right. My guess it is origonal to house(1977). The stem is encased in brass thats soldered to all three pipes. Will the stem come out? If so how?

Old 01-28-02, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shut water off 1st to house, removes the handle if not already, you will see a horseshoe clip that hold the cartiage into the valve, remove this, it slip out of there, your now ready to pull cartiage out, grip the stem tightly and pull it straight out, replace it with a new one and the leak should now be fixed.

Old 01-28-02, 05:30 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
That will be the 1225 B Magnum cartridge and it removes just like Plumber 2000 showed you. Sometimes they can be a little stubborn, push comes to shove there is a cartridge puller you could buy for about $20.00 you should be able to pick up at a hardware or plbg. shop. You might even find nice plumber that loans one out. Moen faucets are one of the easiest to fix that cartridge fits their lavatories & kit faucets too.

Old 01-28-02, 06:02 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
When I get more use to helping people on here I'll get better at putting things on all at one time and not be so slow on the draw (so to speak) Too much glue and primer fumes in crawl spaces maybe???? Anyway when you put the new cartridge in and turn your water back on the hot and cold may have traded places on you don't have a heart attack. Turn the water back off and just turn the cartridge 180 degrees and magically the hot will be back on the left Sorry to have to post twice

Old 01-28-02, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If it hot and cold are on the wrong side, you can reverse the sides without having to turn the water off, all you have to do is remove the handle and turn the center of the cartiage, ( the part that the handle connects to ) 180 degrees.

I'm sure TJ was meanning to say that, but sometimes that glue can make the mind wonder