washer drain hose hook-up

Old 02-04-02, 11:01 AM
reiconjo
Visiting Guest
Question washer drain hose hook-up

My washer drain hose hooks over the side of and empties into my utility sink. I want it to drain directly into a standpipe that "y's" off the sink's 2" waste line. I know the standpipe must be a minimum height of 24" from the floor but I'm attaching the pipe to the sink waste line. Does it need to be longer? Do I attach "Y" where pipe comes from wall, before sink trap? And do I need a separate trap for the standpipe?

Old 02-04-02, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You need a trap AFTER the standpipe connection, or sewer gas will come back through it.
Mike

Old 02-04-02, 05:16 PM
reiconjo
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Mike, for your response. I've tried to attach a sketch(right format, nothing attaches) to ask if I can attach a "T" to the sink drain, thus eliminating the need for two traps. Any ideas?

Old 02-04-02, 11:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I'm not a pro plumber by any means, but I would just 90 over, as necessary, from the bottom of the shortened standpipe to a street-T in the sink tailpiece above the trap.
Allow 1/4" of slope per linear foot of the drain pipe from the bottom of the standpipe to the s-T in the tailpiece.
Maybe one of the pros in here will have a better suggestion, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.
You might get a little backup in the sink when the washer pump is discharging, but it will drain right out down the trap when it quits, so no problem.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: