toilet tank flushes automatically every 3-5 hrs

Old 02-04-02, 08:22 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question toilet tank flushes automatically every 3-5 hrs

Hi there!

My toilet tank flushes (1/10th flush) automatically every 3-5 hrs or so. It doesn't flush completely, but just enuf to hear it refill. I'm just worried if it is any sign of major problem coming up soon. I've checked the chain to the flapper, which is slightly slack. There is no constant seapage or anything (flapper is fine), but this automatic flush worries me! Please let me know if anyone has come across this problem before.. If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks.
-v

Old 02-04-02, 08:43 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you mean that you hear water rushing briefly as the automatic refill valve inside the tank kicks on and tops off the toilet? That is usually a sign of a bad flapper, take a finger and rub it across the rubber. Is your hand all black? If so the rubber has started to degrade and it is time for a new one. A new flapper is $5 and is the cheapest and most common fix for this problem. Try this before going deeper.

Old 02-05-02, 04:33 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
If its not your flapper it could that tube that runs from your ballcock to your overflow tube is down in the overflow tube too far. If its in too far it will cause the ballcock to back siphon (draining the tank) and do just what you described.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: