Remove toilet permanently?

Old 02-05-02, 04:47 AM
hoagland
Visiting Guest
Remove toilet permanently?

Hi, I'd like some tips on what I need to buy and do to remove a toilet permanently. (I'm converting a bathroom in an old house into a semi-soundproofed room to play drums in!).

The floor is basic concrete foundation covered with linoleum. I imagine there must be some kind of plug I can put in the floor to seal off the hole. Is this likely to be an item available at ye olde HomeBaseDepotClub, or more specialized? Tips on particular sealants to use around the edges of this imagined plug? FWIW, I'd like to put down some heavy carpet on the floor, so the hole cover should be as flush with the floor as possible.

While I'm here, any tips on how best to cap the drainpipe of the sink, as close to the wall as possible? I don't need the water pipes (to toilet and sink) to be capped perfectly flush with the walls, as I will be hanging furniture blankets all around to muffle sound. But ideally the pipes shouldn't stick out more than an inch or two.

Thanks for schoolin' me on this and/or directing me to relevant info.

-- Hoag

Old 02-05-02, 06:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

What type of toilet flange and sink pipes do you have?
Metal? Plastic?
The flange will be sitting on top of the concrete floor sticking maybe 3/8"-1/2".
You can cut the sink pipes off in the all and cap them.
The flange is a different story in a slab.

Old 02-05-02, 06:07 PM
hoagland
Visiting Guest
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I haven't removed the toilet yet, but the house and toilet date to the 1940s, so it's a safe assumption that the toilet flange is metal, not plastic.
Likewise, all the sink and toilet pipes are metal.

You say the toilet flange in a concrete slab is a "different story." That's the story I'm lookin' for. I suppose I could live with the hole plugged 1/2" above flush with the slab floor (I could leave a hole in thick carpet padding at that one spot). But of course if there's some product and method to have the plug (or whatever it's called) flush with the floor that would be best.

-- Hoag

Old 02-05-02, 06:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you can get expanding rubber corks called "quick test plugs" that would give you a watertight seal and will not permenantly ruin the plumbing. They are availible in all sizes so you could cap the floor and the sink connection. I would reccomend these to you.
I have also seen plenty of basements where they simply poured concrete down the closet bend for the old toilet, but you need to be sure that the cement does not fall down into the sewer and this is a pretty permenant solution.

Old 02-05-02, 10:46 PM
hoagland
Visiting Guest
Thanks, PFunk. I'll look into the "quick test plugs".

I don't think cement would be the way to go. It's conceivable that in the future I might want to turn the room back into a bathroom. And we have a septic tank line here (no sewer) and I wouldn't want to risk blocking it with cement.

-- Hoag

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: