constantly clogged toilets - new home

Old 02-05-02, 08:19 AM
eklemm
Visiting Guest
constantly clogged toilets - new home

We have a newly constructed home < 2yr. The toilets are 1.6 gpf. The problem is that these toilets constantly clog. This has occurred since the house was built.

The plumber says he ran a snake thru with no blockages.

One tolet is on the send floor the other a 1/2 bath on the first floor.

Any solutions to our constant clogging problem?

Old 02-05-02, 12:49 PM
padudeman
Visiting Guest
Did your plumber check the vent pipe?

Old 02-05-02, 01:00 PM
eklemm
Visiting Guest
...not sure I understand the connection betwwen the two...

Old 02-05-02, 02:27 PM
tellafriend
Visiting Guest
Alot of times people move from older homes with toilets that used a higher GPM. You could flush a whole roll of paper towels with those things! haha! With these new water effecient toilets it's just a matter of adjusting.

Now I've been a plumber for many years and I can honestly say I rarely clog my own toilet. I have a system that some may find uncomfortable to talk about but here it goes...

When using the toilet for #2's I flush at least 3 or 4 times during my "visit". Once or twice, while the toilet is flushing, for the solid waste and another couple of flushes for the "paper work". A) I don't like sitting mere inches away from you know what and B) it puts a strain on the toilet when you try to flush everything at the end.

What I've suggested will take some getting used to. My own family refuses to listen to me and I'm constantly unclogging their toilets.

Since you say your home is only 2 years old I can't say it's roots in the sewer line or a venting problem although the latter may warrant some checking.

I think your probably trying to flush too much at once.

Give it a try and let me know if you see a difference.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-02, 02:28 PM
padudeman
Visiting Guest
Imagine one of those plastic gasoline cans with the little vent cap. When the cap is closed, the gas pours out sluggish and slow. Open the vent cap and it flows evenly. Your drainage system needs the same ventilation to drain properly. Probably some roofer needed a place to stuff his sandwich wrapper and sode pop can.
Ed

Old 02-05-02, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could be just a lousey brand of toilet, keep the plugger handy, if you get tired of these toilet, invest in a couple of the pressure assit toilets, these rarely plug up on you, but the spendy.

Old 02-05-02, 03:51 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
Kohler has come out with a toilet in the last year or so thats a regular flush but has what they call a large throat. I've sold a couple with no complaints and one of the customers that bought one *****es about everything!

Old 02-05-02, 05:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what brand of toilet do you have? I bet you have the mansfield 1.6 gpf.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: