bathroom - sewage smell

Old 02-10-02, 04:08 PM
B
benh7893
Visiting Guest
bathroom - sewage smell

Hi All...
We recently moved into a house built in 1970. A bathroom in the finished basement occassionally has an awful sewer gas/sewage smell - but not always. At times the smell is minor, at times it can give you a headache and all the windows need to be opened. Here's some relevant info:
- the toilet is loose - when you stand up after sitting on it, it rocks back
- when we had a plumber come once, they felt there was no venting for the bathroom - the sink is hooked into a utility sink drain pipe which then hooks into the drain pipe for the washing machine. He couldn't find a vent for the toilet
- we're on a septic tank that was drained prior to us closing on the house - and the inspection showed no problems
- the other bathrooms have no problems
- when the toilet is flushed, it flushes very slowly and has a lot of bubbles coming up from the drain
- the smell seems to lessen when we've covered the drain and overflow drain in the sink with tape

Ok, that's all I can think of. any ideas? Thanks!

Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-02, 04:24 PM
T
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
Well if the toilet is rocking it could very well be causing the smell. As far as no vent and from the sound of what you said it doesn't have one. A vent is needed and what might be happening is that when the toilet is flushed it is emptying the water from your traps allowing the smell also.

Old 02-10-02, 04:27 PM
B
benh7893
Visiting Guest
What would be the best way to vent? What would be the cheapest way to vent?

Thanks for your help

Old 02-10-02, 04:52 PM
T
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
It would be best for you to check with local code in your area but I can cee what I can help with. Is the lavatory drain in a place you can get to? If you can you could go up with a pipe and find a drain ( look for a main drain) and tie into it or the house vent. If you tie into a main drain make sure to tie into the top of the pipe for your vent. In my opinion if you could vent like this it would be probably OK for the toilet too. Other wise you might be looking at cutting up the floor and tying into the drain for the toilet.