Leaking delta single handle bathtub faucet

Old 02-17-02, 06:00 AM
tranzfixed
Visiting Guest
Question Leaking delta single handle bathtub faucet

The faucet is leaking in the upstairs bathtub, I turned off the water, dismantled the handle assembly, removed the stem. All the while, the faucet is still dripping, shouldn't the dripping have stopped once all the above was done? Could the leaking be due to the diversion valve?

Old 02-17-02, 06:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The valve where you "turned off" the water is apparently leaking.
Is your Delta faucet a standard ball-type faucet?

Old 02-17-02, 07:30 AM
tranzfixed
Visiting Guest
Yes, a std. ball type faucet.
I was being lazy and just turned the water off in the basement, I finally removed the panel in the bathroom, behind the wall where the faucet is installed, there were valves there that stopped the drip. Thanks.

I'm just came back from Sears, I would have been able to purchase most of the parts, but decided to use a credit I have at HomeDepot, since each piece was averaging $10. What are the most likely pieces that need to replaced --- I was going to buy the ball valve, and the circular rubber seals with the springs. Any other suggestions? Should I replace the diversion valve?

Old 02-17-02, 11:07 AM
Cool

You should be able to find a generic ball valve rebuild kit with everything in it, including the little ball valve tool, for about $12 bucks.

This is a kitchen ball valve faucet, but the only difference is that a sink faucet has a triangular opening in the cam, and the tub faucet has a slot (kits come with both).
Usually the first thing that wears out are the two seats, however, and you might could just replace those. They come with springs (wide end toward faucet body, narrow end toward seats).
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-17-02, 02:39 PM
tranzfixed
Visiting Guest
It's been a nightmare, I ended up replacing most of the replaceable pieces, twice in fact. The seat assembly, as defined in your diagram, had a note in one of the parts catalogs, "if made before 1976, use assembly 'a' otherwise, assembly 'b' ". I have no clue, when it was made!!! :-) But, what I was left with was a very tiny leak, from the cam assembly and cap assembly, right at the bottom of the adjustment ring, that screws into the cap assembly. Were are talking 2-3 drops only when first turned on, and no drips when turned off. This is a disappointment though, because before I started I only had drips from the faucet, now I still have the SAME drips from the faucet AND these drips from the cap and cam assembly.

I'm almost ready to blame the aftermarket parts, but I question if the results would have been any different with "genuine" Delta parts.

I hate when inanimate objects manage to get the best of me. UGH!

Thanks for your responses today.

Old 02-17-02, 06:52 PM
Cool

Look in the other Delta faucet post of today. It tells how to adjust the cam to stop leaks. That may do it.
All of the parts have to go in just so, or they will leak.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-18-02, 02:07 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hello, The difference between older and newer Delta Faucets is the length of the 2 springs. Older units take the longer springs. I use the old ones if the kit comes with only short ones. According to a bulleting I have from Delta when reassebling the unit screw the metel cap on hand tight, then tighten the plastic ring on the top of the cap with the spanner to tighten the unit. I also grease all threaded fittings. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 02-18-02, 04:25 PM
Cool

And I use petroleum jelly to grease the ball.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: