Air in the pipes?


Old 02-18-02, 06:59 AM
john doody
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Air in the pipes?

We have noticed that often when we are using the kitchen cold water faucet that their is a lot of air (sputtering) coming out of the faucet. Sometimes we get this in other cold water fixtures in the house. Does anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-02, 10:30 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 56
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are on a public system chances are it is coming from the main. Especially if you are on a high point of the line. Call your water company and they can check it.
Old 02-20-02, 06:21 AM
john doody
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
We Have a well. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
Old 02-20-02, 07:01 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,952
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

If you're on a well, the air could be coming from either of two sources...the air bladder in the pressure tank is leaking (which means that you have to replace the tank), or you have a leak on the suction (well) side of your pump.
You can spritz shaving cream on the connections. If a dimple occurs in the shaving cream while the pump is pumping, you have an air leak there, and you need to re-seal that connection.
To check the air pressure in the tank, turn off the power to the pump and drain off the water pressure.
Use a tire gauge to check the air pressure in the tank. It should be two psi below your cut-on pressure. If it's too low, air it up with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor. If it's too high, bleed the air pressure off to the 2 psi below cut-on.
If the tank won't hold the minimum pressure, the bladder is probably leaking.
Good luck!
Old 02-20-02, 04:32 PM
john doody
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks Mike, it just so happened that this morning I checked the pump and found a small water leak on the suction side (water is dribbling out around the motor shaft behind the impeller -- I believe that's what you call it-- housing). My thinking is that the impeller stuff comes in a kit like with my pool pump, so I can buy it and put it on myself. Does that sound right? I've replaced this on my pool pump so I think I understand how it works. I'll check the tank pressure as you suggested also. Thanks again.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: