Cream of Wheat in my Sink

Old 02-18-02, 12:48 PM
grat50
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Cream of Wheat in my Sink

I poured a box of instant Cream of Wheat into my kitchen sink. (I know, dumb, but don't tell me that now). Now, my sink is clogged. I poured some drain cleaner (the kind that you are supposed to use for slow running sinks, but not stopped up ones) into it about two hours ago and have tried plunging it numerous times, but no help.

Would boiling water help or do I get out the snake? Or is there some solution that might yet work?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-02, 03:33 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
First I would take the drain apart right under the sink and see if the clog is right there. And if not snake it out while that part is apart. Becareful to catch what comes out of the drain when you take it apart that drain cleaner is very caustic. Thats about the only thing I can tell you, its going to atke some elbow grease!

Old 02-19-02, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
clogged drain

Hi;
Since you already put in drain cleaner and are going to take the drain apart, be careful! Put a bucket under the drain, wear good rubber gloves and eye protection. Move anything that will be affected by the drain cleaner from the immediate vicinity and open slowly.
Open the plug at the bottom of the drain elbow first. Sometimes this will allow the offending material to come out without taking the whole assembly apart. With the plug open see if you can snake from there if not it all has to come apart and be snaked. Remember, in older homes one thing can lead to another!
I have had some limited success in the past with opening the plug and draining , putting hot water in, let sit momentarily till it slightly cools and then redrain. I've done this for similar things that found their way into the drain that were not meant to be there. Awkward,repidious,time consuming and not acceptable to some but saved me the problem of opening the pipes and risking another problem with broken drain pipes.
Good luck and hope this works for you. I guess that this shows that Cream of Wheat does stick to your ribs! LOL!

Old 02-21-02, 06:22 PM
grat50
Visiting Guest
cream of wheat is off the diet

Well, after emptying out all the drain cleaner by hand (after diluting with water numerous times), then pouring boiling water into the sink (kicked the breaker for the stove), then pumping with the plunger for two days, then snaking out BOTH end of the pipe...

I am happy to report that the SINK NOW RUNS.

I am adding CofW to those things Never to put down the drain (rice, egg shells, etc. - nothing with greater consistancy than mashed potatoes).

Thanks for the advice and the shoulder.

Old 02-21-02, 07:02 PM
mcgub
Visiting Guest
I would like to thank you...you have provided me with an outstanding story to tell other guys that I work with