toilet clogging

Old 02-19-02, 12:17 PM
brisahansen
Visiting Guest
toilet clogging

We have three toilets. Two are constantly clogging due to solids. Plunging clears them. A plumber couldn't help us. He did notice that the flow coming from the tank was forceful enough. (Good whirlpool).
We have hard water. Could the passage be restricted due to calcium deposits? If so, what kind of acid can I safely put in to dissolve the deposits?
Maybe I should remove a toilet and look at it's underside. Maybe there really is some object restricting the flow.
Perhaps we should just buy higher quality toilets.
The third toilet (with no clogging problems)is out in the garage and doesn't get used often. But it does get the same hard water.

Old 02-19-02, 12:48 PM
joelp
Visiting Guest
Have you checked your vent. Many times the vent will be clogged giving you the symptoms of a clogged toilet.

Old 02-19-02, 01:06 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
Does it seem to swirl good? If you have hard water you could take a coat hanger cut it and bend a piece up about 3" or so. Then go around under the rim and clean all the little holes out. After that take the tank lid off and pour some muriatic acid into the overflow tube let it set 3-5 minutes and flush the toilet you may have to do this a couple of times.

Old 02-19-02, 03:14 PM
clare
Visiting Guest
I had a similar problem. No visible signs of stoppage. Good swirl. No obstructions. Large tank. ETC...

Then I started making my teenaged son eat more apples!

An apple a day keeps the plunger at bay!

Old 02-19-02, 03:20 PM
clare
Visiting Guest
PS...
This solved my father's problem too! His toilet was one of those new water saver jobs. We realized that the old man's never clogged unless my son was staying over.

How to get the boy to eat his fiber? Make him plunge if it gets clogged.

I know this sounds silly but seriously...

My father's house was brand new. And my toilet was recently reseated. So we KNEW there was nothing "wrong" with the toilets.

Now, why, at a certain age, my son's usage would be a problem? Don't know, don't care. We haven't had a problem at either house since we enacted the apple rule! Cross my heart X

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: