Toilet bowl won't fill properly

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-02, 11:26 AM
sashdb
Visiting Guest
Toilet bowl won't fill properly

We just installed a new toilet. The water won't fill up in the bowl correctly. It barely covers the hole. Is this just an adjustment of the floater ball thing in the tank that needs to be done? It's driving me crazy!! The old toilet was just fine; no problem with the water level.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-02, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 54 Posts
Take lid off tank and check that the refill hose for the bowl is properly postioned to direct water down the overflow tube and into the bowl to refill it. This will be a small diameter rubber hose running from the flush valve mechanism to the overflow pipe (about a 1" diameter open pipe sticking up from near the falpper valve). Normally the hose is held in place with a small clip and the water that squirts out should be pointed right down the overflow pipe and will travel down into the bowl and refill it.

Old 02-21-02, 12:05 PM
kenmarty
Visiting Guest
There are adjustment screws to correct the problem, the screws are usually right at the top.

Old 02-22-02, 11:48 AM
gr8full
Visiting Guest
Smile re: toilet not filling properly

I just want to say thanks for the advice on how to trouble-shoot why a toilet might not be filling properly. I had the same problem with a brand new toilet I just had installed and had no clue on how to fix it. After reading the suggestion on checking to see if the refill hose was inserted into the overflow tube, I went home and saw that the hose was outside of the tube. Problem solved! I'm new to this site and I'm glad I came across it in the nick of time. I just bought my own home and am starting to experience basic problems here and there that I'm pretty clueless about (after having depended on someone else for years to do all the fixing). I'm eager to learn and do what I can on my own especially the simple stuff and I've already acquired some valuable info from these boards.

Old 02-22-02, 06:21 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
Don't stick the little hose too far into the overflow tube or it will back feed the water out of the tank and you will get a "mysterious" flush when no one is in the bathroom.

Old 02-22-02, 06:31 PM
gr8full
Visiting Guest
Talking Mysterious Flush

Wow, thanks for the warning. I can guarantee you I'd be freaked out if that ever happened. The hose has a little clip on it so I secured it to the tube. It's good to know the purpose for these things.

Old 02-22-02, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 54 Posts
Welcome aboard, gr8full; all of the handypersons around here started out at the "bottom" (some of us longer ago than others, LOL).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: