Clearning slow drain

Old 03-02-02, 05:44 PM
schong
Visiting Guest
Clearning slow drain

I have been trying to clear a perpetually slow drain in my tub (probably installed in the 50's), and haven't been able to get a snake to the clog. I recently read an article about using a plumbing snake that said: "If there is a can type trap between you and the clog, forget the snake. It'll just coil up in the trap like a cobra in a basket and go no further." I'm suspecting that I have this type of can trap.

Can anyone point me to a resource that will show me what a can type trap looks like and how to get rid of this clog? I've tried commercial drain cleaners, but the clog comes back within a month or so, and I don't want to keep using them.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-02, 05:54 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
The type of trap you are describing is a drum trap. It looks like what its called. Replacing it would be very easy if its on a crawl space or basement. I would also guess that its plumbed with galvanized pipe. Just cut the galv. pipe before the trap and remove it from the tub drain assy. repipe witha PVc trap and make the connection between the old and the new with a rubber coupling. (Fernco brand name) I wouldn't be surprised that some of the piping is clogged too. It can be replaced in the same way, just cut back until you find good or to where its connected to the main line. Leave a small section on the main line clean it out good and start from there with the "fernco" and PVC. This alot easier than can be described.

Old 03-03-02, 06:29 AM
schong
Visiting Guest
toiletjockey - thanks for the description & the correction on the name...I'll use that to do some more searching.

Unfortunately, this is a second floor bathroom, so I don't think I'll be able to get to the trap without tearing out some wall, floor, or ceiling. Any other suggestions as to how to get this cleared without actually replacing the drum trap?

Old 03-03-02, 06:41 AM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
Well if you can get to that end of the tub those drum traps do have a "lid" that screws on for cleaning. Remember its OLD and will it come apart peaceful??? If not and you can get to that end putting a p-trap in wouldn't be that hard.