wahsing machine drain

Old 03-04-02, 03:24 PM
Martha Wurtele
Visiting Guest
wahsing machine drain

HELP! Please, my washer starts to drain and the drain pipe runs over. I have to stop the spinning and let the drain pipe empty before restarting the spinning. The pipe empties very quickly. I have tried to "snake" it, put the 15 foot snake just dropped down the drain, although I was able to catch it before it disappeared.

This is really the only drain that I have had trouble with lately. Will Rotor Router help? A plumber several blocks over gave me a price for looking at it, but said it could run very high depending on what he found.. When I asked him what it could be, he just shrugged.

Can anyone give me a suggestion as what to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 03:44 PM
toiletjockey
Visiting Guest
How new is the washer and what size is the drain? New washer put out a lot more water than older models and need larger drains.

Old 03-04-02, 04:47 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, If you have the room install a deep sink. That will take care of your problem. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 03-04-02, 05:07 PM
jen7321
Visiting Guest
Martha, My washer does the same thing. My house is about 35 years old and I've been told the pipes are smaller than those in houses built nowadays. I've had to have the drain snaked and jetted about 4 times since I've lived in the house. Snaking is not as expensive but the warranty does not last as long, maybe 3 months. Your 15 foot snake probably didn't do much good. The plumber that came to my house used a 50 foot snake. Jetting can be very expensive, I think it cost me around $285 for jetting my laundry drain and kitchen sink drain, but it came with a year warranty. Good luck!

Old 03-05-02, 05:52 AM
Martha Wurtele
Visiting Guest
washing machine drain

Thanks to all of you who replied!

I have lived in this house for fifteen years, using the same washing machine with the same drain. The washing machine is at least 30 years old, but, hey- its a Maytag.

Old 03-05-02, 06:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

It sounds like you may have a partial clog in the main drain pipe.
Open a clean-out plug, rent a plumber's snake, and snake out the main line.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-05-02, 07:23 AM
Martha Wurtele
Visiting Guest
washing machine drain

Ok Mike, I have had the main line cleaned out many times before I had the offending tree cut down. The washing machine drain was never a problem then. The main line access was in the front yard. Is there one - a clean out- that runs from the kitchen before it joins the main line?

I hate to be picky, the last plumber got thousands of dollars from me and I just can't afford that now.

Thank you

Old 03-05-02, 08:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

There could possibly be a clean-out from the kitchen to the main.
Do you have a basement or crawlspace, so that you can look for a clean-out under the kitchen?
Usually, you just disconnect the kitchen sink trap and snake through there to the main.
The washing machine standpipe has a trap at the bottom of it, but that doesn't seem to be the clog problem area. I think that it's downstream, if it's draining rapidly when you stop the washer pump.
Whether or not you need a roto-rooter of the mainline depends on if you have shrubbery or trees near the line.
Apparently you have an older type sectional main drain (cast iron, terra cotta, etc.) that allows roots in.
The only long term solution to that problem is to replace the line with glued PVC white plastic drain pipe, which roots cannot penetrate.
Roots will usually reappear every other year, once they begin.
A snake will punch through roots, offering only temporary clearing. Roots have to be cut out completely.
I would call around to a drain cleaning company with a video camera so that they can look at it and show you the exact problem.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-06-02, 02:33 PM
L
Try this. Use electrical tape to seal around where your washer drain line goes into the drain. It may take a whole roll but make sure that you have it sealed completly. If it is a partial blockage it may blow it out. In any event it will pump out faster than it is gravity flowing as it is now and may keep you from having to replumb. I know of cases where this has solved the problem. It may be worth a try.