Leaky Kitchen Faucet

Old 03-05-02, 12:52 PM
jcerri
Visiting Guest
Leaky Kitchen Faucet

I have a single-bowl stainless topset kitchen sink with a single handle faucet. When I pull the handle up to the upper left to get hot water for washing pots, some water seeps out where the rubber gasket is located between the faucet and sink. The result-the water runs down between the back edge of the sink and the counter splash, leaving little lakes on the counter surface.

The counter material is a one-piece formica-like plastic laminate w/ splash so I don't think the puddles are causing any decay problems-mostly a convience/ cleanliness issue.

The question is-does the faucet need repair/replacement/new parts and how to?

Old 03-05-02, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You probably just need to repair the faucet.
What brand is it?

Old 03-05-02, 05:05 PM
L
Lay down under the sink with a good flashlite and run water through the faucet. You should be able to determine the source of the leak. Since the water is coming out from under the base of the faucet, I have my doubts about whether or not it can be repaired. You may have to replace the faucet. But you don't want to let the situation go on for very long. IF the water is getting to the underside of the countertop (the particle board), it will ruin it (if it hasn't already), and you'll end up replacing the top as well.

Old 03-06-02, 09:39 AM
jcerri
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lefty, I'll take a look tonight. It's an apartment, so if it is causing damage to the particle board or wall the management will be responsible for those repair$.

OldGuy, the brand of the faucet is Delta.

Thanks

Old 03-06-02, 11:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

First, if this is an apartment, just call the apartment maintenance people to repair or replace it. Why are you even dealing with it?
However, just for your info, here is what a Delta kitchen faucet looks like:

I suspect that the O-rings (#9 in the illustration) on the faucet barrel are just worn, as they tend to get with normal use, and need to be replaced.
Get a Delta or generic ball-valve repair kit. It will have everything that you would need to repair this type of faucet, including a little tool with the cam adjusting points on one end and a set-screw allen wrench on the other. OR, you can get just the O-rings in a little bubble pack.
A. Turn off the water shut-offs under the sink.
B. Loosen the set screw under the handle, and remove the handle.
C. Unscrew the cap counter-clockwise (protect the finish with a cloth and use a pair of channel-lock pliers).
D. Wiggle the spout up off of the faucet barrel and remove and replace the O-rings. "Grease" them with petroleum jelly.
E. Replace the innards of the faucet while you have it apart and all of the new parts there, if you choose.
Put the spout back on, and then the cap and handle.
Turn the water back on and try it. If it is still leaking, you'll have to replace the faucet. Bet it's the O-rings, tho.
Good LucK!
Mike

Old 03-06-02, 11:46 AM
L
Mike is right -- call the manager of the apt. and they will send the maintanence people over to fix the problem. LOOK around all you want, but don't take ANYTHING apart.

He is also right that it probably the O-rings under the spout that are leaking. Usually when they go it leaks out from under the spout, on top of the base plate, but it could leak out between the faucet and the sink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: