Plumbing

Old 03-11-02, 10:23 PM
Vickie Malm
Visiting Guest
Question Plumbing

My toilet is driving me crazy. It won't flush,you can use a plunger and the water will go down but if you flush it runs over. I have used a "snake" the one with the metal handle. I think the right term is rotor. I have tried pressure with my vacuum and "X" drain cleaner. Nothing is working. Any suggestions. The rest of the drains are functioning fine. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-02, 10:43 PM
rrios612
Visiting Guest
Hi Vicki,

How old is your toilet? Check the bottom of the bowl, there may be a small little hole, about 3/4" in diameter. If there is, use a small wire and clean it out really well. There is usally a calcium deposit plug keeping it from flushing right. If there is no little hole, check the level of the water in the tank. It may be set too low. If it's very old and none of this works, consider getting a new toilet. If it is a new installation, find out if they used two wax rings to install it, if it is done wrong, the wax oozes over and covers the drain, making it difficult for it to flush.

Hope this helps,

Rudy

Old 03-12-02, 06:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

A toilet has its own built-in trap and lots of things can get hung up in it (plastic toys, curlers, toothbrushes, etc.).
What you were using is called a toilet auger. Usually that will snag things out from the bowl side, but if it is really jammed, you may have to pull the toilet, and auger it from the underneath side.
Replace the wax ring.

Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-12-02, 10:21 PM
Vickie Malm
Visiting Guest
Smile plugged potty

Thank you for your suggestions. I found the problem. My son tipped the toilet over and sure enough underneath in the bottom of the pot was where the "object" was. We're flushing happily again. Thanks much. Vickie