shower problems

Old 03-14-02, 06:04 PM
robmanmsu
Visiting Guest
shower problems

I've never worked with plumbing before, but I'm trying to convert my three handle shower system to a one handle system. The old system screwed directly in to the water pipes. The new system required me to run some elbows from the water pipes into the system. I tried using galvanized steel with some threading tape to hook everything up. The water pipes are made of copper and have a union soldered on to the end of it. The actual threads from the galvanized iron to the union seem to be tight. Here's my problem:
Water seems to leak inbetween the soldered part of the union and the nut portion of the union. It sits level, so that isn't the problem. Both pipes are 1/2 inch, but I do notice the copper water pipes seem to resemble a "cone" shape right at the end of the pipe. I've tried shoving a washer around the water pipe, I've tried thread tape, compound joint, and nothing has worked. Any ideas? Thank you.
Also, if I were to have a plumber come figure this out, any idea what a reasonable price would be just to hook up the system?

Old 03-14-02, 08:18 PM
rrios612
Visiting Guest
Hi,

The union is specifically designed for the old shower valve. You can't just screw on the union to galvanized pipe. The proper way to install your single handle valve is to cut off those unions, solder/sweat copper couplings and use copper 90s and copper pipe to the single handle shower valve. At the valve, you need copper by male adaptors screwed in the valve and then soldered/sweat to your new piping. Be careful, it's a good idea to remove the cartridge in the valve before soldering.

In my area, a plumber would charge around 150 bucks, assuming there is no patching of walls or tile.

Good luck,

Rudy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: