please help! I think I broke my friends toilet

Old 03-17-02, 10:54 AM
moesha
Visiting Guest
Unhappy please help! I think I broke my friends toilet

I'm house sitting for a dear friend and just used the toilet. Upon flushing, to my great horror, it started to overflow.

No stranger to clogged toilets, I grabbed off the top and hung onto the toilet tank float bulb (whatsit) until the flushing process stopped and the coast seemed clear. I did not turn the water off at the valve against the wall.

After a quick trip to the store for a plunger, I plunged the toilet until the waste cleared the bowl. But, now, the reserve tank is not filling up. I can use the toilet if I fill the reserve tank with a bucket of water, it will flush fine, but won't re-fill itself. What did I do, and what can I do to fix it?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Being that it's Sunday, I won't be able to get in touch with her super till tomorrow and would love to resolve this before it gets to that step.

Thanks in advance,
moesha

Old 03-17-02, 11:07 AM
ahelluvamn@aol.
Visiting Guest
Hi moesha.. Sound like you have damaged or broke the ball **** valve.. The float that you mentioned lifting up on is what actually open the valve to allow water to fill the tank.. Ensure that the float rod is still for the most part straight out from the fill tube and ease itr down towards the bottom of the atnk which should open the fill valve and thus fill your tank.. Once water does fill the tank water will rise only up to the overflow tube. Just watch the toliet go through a couple of flush cycles and adjust the float bulb by twisting the rod.. There is a slight bend in the rod that will slighlty raise the bulb or lower the bulb and set the water level in the tank.. If the ball **** valve is bad.. expect anb $5- $10 and home center and about a half hour of time.. very easy install..

Old 03-17-02, 01:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Replace the ball **** assembly with a Fluidmaster 400A float-cup type water valve assembly (about $6-$7 bucks).

Just follow the directions that come with it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 03-18-02 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-18-02, 11:24 AM
moesha
Visiting Guest
thanks guys!

I took your advice and it's working like a charm. I really appreciate your kind help! DoItYourself.com rules!

thanks so much,
Moesha

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: