Bath remodel

Old 03-17-02, 11:55 AM
Eliz
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Bath remodel

I need help. I'm installing a new tub surround and I can't get the tub spout off. WD40 worked on everything else but the threads are inside the spout and I'm stumped. Any tricks I don't know about? I'm desperate.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-02, 12:40 PM
tedn332
Visiting Guest
Get a bigger wrench and plan on a new spout

Old 03-17-02, 04:33 PM
Eliz
Visiting Guest
Removing tub spout

Thank you for the input. I am using a pipe wrench; they don't get much bigger. I just can't seem to get enough of a grip on the spout to budge it. I've tried tape, a wet rag, etc. I don't care about the damage to the spout. I just want it out of there. Any other suggestions?

Old 03-17-02, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could it be that your spout is a compression fit? Look under the spout, about 1/2" out from the wall and see if there is a set screw there holding the spout on. If so, use an allen wrench to loosen the set screw and it'll slide off.

Old 03-17-02, 09:20 PM
Eliz
Visiting Guest
Not Compression

I already checked for that and unfortunately there is no screw. I am truely stumped. Thank you for your response. I so appreciate that you are thinking through the options.

Old 03-17-02, 09:39 PM
Wedge the wrench inside the spout where the water comes out, the spout will either spin off or break off.

Old 03-19-02, 10:15 PM
leonavid
Visiting Guest
When I needed to change a bathtub spout, the guy at the tool lending library (yes, we're lucky! Show them your library card and borrow tools for free) gave me a strap wrench - it got a good grip on the spout and I was able to unscrew it. Don't know if this would apply to yours.

Old 03-19-02, 11:18 PM
If the spout hasn't budged yet, you may have to go in through the wall on the other side of the tub and use a Sawzall to the pipe between the tub valve and the elbow behind the spout. Then replace both nipples, the elbow, and the spout.