Toilet tank water disappeared

Old 03-27-02, 02:50 AM
raymondb
Visiting Guest
Question Toilet tank water disappeared

Hi, I need help from the experts. I have a toilet in my house that all of sudden lost the water in the tank. However, there's still water in the bowl. The water valve is still on and the rest of the toilets in the house are flushing properly. Any ideas what's causing this? If I need to hire a plumber to get it fix, how much do they usually charge? I'm considering on getting a new toilet bowl/tank all together...This toilet has a lot of mineral build up that won't come off. What's the charge for installation? I live in San Fernando Valley area in CA.

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-27-02, 05:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not an expert or pro plumber, but it sounds like your just need to repalce the tank water valve with a new Fluidmaster 400A float-cup type (about $6-$7 bucks).

Just follow the directions that come with it, if you want to fix what you have.
As far as a new toilet and installation cost estimate in CA, you'll have to wait until lefty answers that.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-27-02, 07:33 AM
AMCDaddy
Visiting Guest
Don't hire a plumber. You can do this. I agree with the previous post. I just installed the very same tank water valve (flush valve, flapper system, etc) mentioned above in my toilet. My toilet wasn't flushing without holding down the handle. You just need a pair of pliers and about an hour. You don't need to remove the tank from the bowl to change the water valve. Just follow the instructions. I have trouble putting together a bologna sandwich, so that should give you an idea of my technical proficiency, but I was able to replace my valve and get my toilet functioning properly, so give it a try. If it doesn't work, hire a plumber as a last resort. The last time I talked to someone, they said that having a toilet replaced usually runs about $300.00 (parts & labor included). That's expensive. My total cost to replace the water valve, flapper, and handle was $9.99. Well worth it. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: