Replacing Faucet Handle Innards....

Old 03-27-02, 08:31 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Replacing Faucet Handle Innards....

I have no clue as to brand name of sink or plumbing, looks to be around 10 years old.

This may sound familiar as I mentioned it around Christmas: My girlfriend's faucet handles, when jiggled, increased or decreased the flow from the faucet.

The general response I got was that washers and packing needed replacement.

I just need some 123's as to how to accomplish this, beyond the obvious: shut off water service below the sink. This only slows water to a trickle, however, and enough may come out during the operation to recreate "TITANIC" in her basement apartment! In short, the shutoffs may need replacing too, in which case this post may be pointless to begin with.

This would also preclude me from taking the components to a plumbing or hardware store, which would allow me to match up replacement parts.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Jack

Old 03-27-02, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Just shut the water main off.
You probably need to replace the packing and washers on all four.
Here is a typical compression faucet layout. The shut-off valve innards should be similar.

Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-27-02, 01:07 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks again!

On a related topic, how can shutoff valves go bad?

I did read some where that if you rotated all the shutoff valves in the house twice yearly, you could loosen and prevent potential mineral and hardwater deposit buildup. Perhaps this wasn't done in this case?

-Jack

Old 03-27-02, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

All rubber washers and graphite packing string will deteriorate with time, whether they're being used or not. They make teflon packing string now that lasts much longer, however.
The chromed brass cut-off valves also will corrode and/or get mineral deposit buildup over time. It is a good idea to open and close them a couple of times a year, but I don't think many people think to do it. (I don't. I just deal with them when I have to.)
One good thing about it. They really aren't hard to repair or replace.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: