tub to shower conversion

Old 03-28-02, 08:52 PM
ndogg
Visiting Guest
Question tub to shower conversion

Could anyone recommend any resources on how to install a showerhead given just a regular bathtub faucet/spigot deal? The pipes are actually easy to get at- it's one of those old-school free-standing tubs not tiled into the wall etc. I imagine it's a fairly straightforward task, I just don't know anything about plumbing. Any help much appreciated!

Old 03-28-02, 09:15 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A free-standing tub, like a claw foot, where you can actually see all the plumbing? Cool, but this is going to create another set of problems for you. You will probably want to replace the entire valve (in fact, you may HAVE to) in order to add the shower head.

I suggest that your first stop be at a home center or hardware store where you can actually SEE a 2 handle shower valve. If you compare them with the identical tub-only valve, you will see that the only differences are that the shower valve uses a riser going up to the shower head, and the tub-only valve has a plug in that hole. The shower valve will have a diverter type spout and the tub-only valve will have no diverter button on the spout. You will also notice that these valves aren't very attractive. They are designed to be buried in a wall where nobody but a plumber has to look at them!

Now that you have SEEN a tub/shower valve, go home and look at yours. Is it going to be possible to add a riser to the valve and replace the tub spout with one that has the diverter? (The tub spout is easy -- of course you can replace that.) If adding a riser to your current valve isn't possible, you will have to replace the entire valve with one that will accept the riser. Because it is all exposed, you will have to pay the price for one that is finished, and designed to be exposed.

Old 03-28-02, 11:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I converted one of these tub-only clawfoots to a shower back in my college days (the other '01... don't ask...lol).
Since it was a frat house, I did it with galvanized and plain old gate valves. For the shower "walls", I made a ceiling hanging frame with three overlapped shower curtains.
It looked about like it sounds, but it worked.
However, in your case, you should go with lefty's suggestion to get a conversion unit. They make a lot of attractive, chromed set-ups for this very purpose.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 04-01-02, 07:11 AM
ndogg
Visiting Guest
thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for the help- I ended up getting one of those kits. It works great. There were even a few extra challenges in terms of atypical bathroom architecture (slanted ceiling) but the whole thing, shopping and everything, only took 2 hours. I've still got to stoop a little because the riser isn't quite long enough (but at 6'4" I'm accustomed to this) but I can always modify it.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: